• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

v8 swap

Kurt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 xj .The motor is dead. I want to put a 350 in it .I have a 350 turbo trans and a 205 gear to gear t- case,and for a low price I can get some rebuilt 3/4 ton axles with 4:10 gears. This will be my first fab job so I don't know what I will need. Do I need a new wiring harness ,motor mount how do I mount the new axles and how do I strength the uni body. Is the 350 trans the right trany

okay when you come to the forums do a search for V8 Swap and you will find plenty of threads, like the one that i started...

Kurt i say do it i did a tj sbc conversion and i am doing a 87 xj sbc conversion
All ill say is this it is very costly and talk to specialty shops these forums are not the place for these questions,I am putting a 383 in the xj with tpi off an iroc using a gm7730 weather pack ecm jims performance will burna a chip and make you harness dont even think carb. wate of time get some goos heads for the 350 or youll gain nothing in terms of power most 350s are in the 200 hp range added weight equals a gain of nothing . You must understand it gets expensive with the 75 and hundred dollar items they add up fast and furious headers pulleys shifters motor mounts custom hoses exhaust and so on bolts nuts tools for this and that,No man will admit hes a weak at anything but if you dont have a good amount of fabrication and automotive knowledge real world knowledge not to metion welders grinders cranes negine stands and a bevy of autmotive specialty tools i wouldnt even attmept it. just my 2 cents please feel free to ask ill give you some names of the shops i use online there are nedless resources out there this just aint 1 of em

...2guysfabrication..
....errrr,.
Did you say
.."i use online there are nedless resources out there this just aint 1 of em" (. meaning...NAXJA..? )
..dude..
...errr,.. then why are we ALL ( that would include you..) here at NAXJA,..if not on a daily or weekly basis ?-
..hello..?
..Am I missing something in your statement below ,..?
.."if you dont have a good amount of fabrication and automotive knowledge real world knowledge not to metion welders grinders cranes negine stands and a bevy of autmotive specialty tools i wouldnt even attmept it."-Could one
reasonably assume ,if one is going to be modifying his or hers vehicle useing this forum at NAXJA's online website that they would NEED some amount of welders grinders cranes negine(sic) stands".etc? -(I would suggest to you that as our XJ's contiue to age this sbc swap becomes more and more a cost-efficient way to own and keep our Jeeps
...Kurt..
I would cordially advise you or anyone to do a search here at the NAXJA forum in the archives for this time-worn question-Reference my bxj posts here at NAXJA if you please

exactly what i meant,read another v 8 swap question and all that guy got was crap no helpful info whatsoever just how good a 4.0 was blah blah blah not anything about what he would need to do for the swap.

2guysfabrication said:
Kurt i say do it i did a tj sbc conversion and i am doing a 87 xj sbc conversion
All ill say is this it is very costly and talk to specialty shops these forums are not the place for these questions,I am putting a 383 in the xj with tpi off an iroc using a gm7730 weather pack ecm jims performance will burna a chip and make you harness dont even think carb. wate of time get some goos heads for the 350 or youll gain nothing in terms of power most 350s are in the 200 hp range added weight equals a gain of nothing . You must understand it gets expensive with the 75 and hundred dollar items they add up fast and furious headers pulleys shifters motor mounts custom hoses exhaust and so on bolts nuts tools for this and that,No man will admit hes a weak at anything but if you dont have a good amount of fabrication and automotive knowledge real world knowledge not to metion welders grinders cranes negine stands and a bevy of autmotive specialty tools i wouldnt even attmept it. just my 2 cents please feel free to ask ill give you some names of the shops i use online there are nedless resources out there this just aint 1 of em
dude, get a clue, i did the whole thing in my garage. including the cost of the XJ i did 7+" of lift for less than $1500 total, custom wireing, custom mounts, custom lift, custom every thing, and i owe it all to alot of thought and much advise from :NAXJA::exclamati
if you want any help or ideas just pm me and i will let you in on all of my secrets. that is why i joined here.

just look at my sig

2guysfabrication said:
minw will be street legal and very reliable 1500 doubt it, harness for tpi with chips is 400 plus
the v8 you put in must be real beauty loll lol ol o
get a clue man, its a chevy 350 out of a mercury boat, it has 325 HP and 585 LBFT of torque at 2700 RPM just because its cheep or free doesnt mean its junk
DSCN0276.jpg

DSCN0275.jpg

i even got the air filter free so kiss my @ss

Back