• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP30 or LP30

hockeyplurr

NAXJA Forum User
Do all XJS have the HP30?? If not how do I tell what I have. I searched but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. Do I just check to see if the pinion is above the axle line??

2000+ are the LP,it has been rumored that even some 2k's still had the HP.

hp is pinion shaft a little higher in relation to where it enters the pumpkin, and lp is lower. once you see an example of each one, you will know it the next time you see it. go with the hp if you can. i'm not sure about all the years.

just imagine the pinion in relation to the horizontal line created by the axle shafts/tubes. the HP will be above that line and the LP will be lower than that line.

your 89 is an HP. just look at the axle and it will be painfully obvious.

Kind of along the same line of questioning... which models have the reverse rotation and which don't?

Its the cut on the gear thats reversed. Not the rotation. This allows the strong(flat) side of the gears to contact in forward rotation, leaving the weak (angled) sides for reverse.

These strong sides are only in relation to HP/reverse cut. For a low pinion the above will be true with standard cut gears.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
2000+ are the LP,it has been rumored that even some 2k's still had the HP.
Yes, some '00's do have them, but (from what I've actually seen) at least some built from October of '99 to January of '00. Obviously not all of those have them, but those are the ones I've actually seen in person.

Back