• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar Diameters

db209_2000

NAXJA Forum User
I own a '98 XJ Sport, and I want to upgrade to polyurethane sway bar bushings in the front. You guys have mentioned that there are 4 different diameters to choose from. The parts people at my local dealer say the same thing (23mm, 24mm, 25mm, 28mm), but that there is only one part number for the bushings all the way back to '84. What is the most common size bar for a '98 4.0L Sport, w/o tow package, w/o up-country suspension?

Why change out to poly? It will sqweek, and be annoying. Are you looking at making this an off road machine, DD, or off road now and then? I wouldn't reccomend polyurathane, too stiff for off roadin chit, unless you run sway bar disco's, then they may work out.

My stock rubber ones look decient, even with 202K on it.

Everyone always says just measure it. Get some cheapo calipers from HF on Central Ave if you don't have any...or PM me I'll let you use mine.

Definitely measure your bar. That's the only way to know for sure what it is. You can get cheap calipers at Harbor Freight for around $10-$15, and they're useful for lots of other measuring tasks. Once you own a set of calipers you'll wonder how you got along for so long without them.

Thanks guys. Turns out it is a 25mm bar. When I had it on the lift a work for my LOF I gave it a once over and found them mushed out, and one almost gone. When I looked new ones up in Qudratec I saw that I had to measur them, but I was too lazy last night.

My Jeep is mostly a pavement pounder. I like push it to it's handling limits though, and I want to get rid of some of the body roll in fast cornering. Is there an upgrade, besides Poly bushings, for the rear bar?

Back