• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 axle Info

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
found a rear D60, out of a 72 F-250 4x4 for reasonably cheap...What would be a good price to pay for one of these? Anyone know the WMS or spline count? I believe the WMS is 65" but could be wrong...have no clue on spline count...any Info is appreciated...

oh yea forgot to mention Its full floating and 8 lug....

I'd have to re-gear, lock, fix up the brakes, and all new perches....

IF its the FF 8 lug, its probably 23 spline 1.5" shafts, could be 30 spline in the 72..... but, most of the FF's were 23 spline until 73 (IIRC)

id prefer to get (and did get) a 23 spline FF axle......makes going to 35 spline 1.5" cromos alot easier :D

tealcherokee said:
id prefer to get (and did get) a 23 spline FF axle......makes going to 35 spline 1.5" cromos alot easier :D

until you look at the pricetag for new spindles or bore yours out...

heres the bom, I cant make out the numbers though and I cant find the site where I can punch these in and get the axle Info

nm I'm told thats not the bom, I now have a diagram of where to find It on the axle tube, I believe thats the axle ratio tag

XJ99 said:
so is this axle worth my time If I wanted to run the stock shafts, geared, locker and 36's?
what is your current rear axle failure point?

if it is the ring gear, pinion, housing or wheel bearings - then yes - this is worth it.

if it is the shafts - then make sure to verify the 30 splines before you plop the chunk of change into it - the 23 spline isnt worth it IMO.

thats the reason why i wanted the 23 spline axle, you dont have to bore them out

1.5" 23 spline vs 1.3125" 30 spline

semi floats were 1.5" 35 spline

I'm running a mid '80s Dodge D60 rear. Stock shafts and welded carrier. No problems with 36" IROKS.

Ran the exact same axle in my old '73 Dodge 3/4ton with a built up 360 motor and 35" tires. Never gave a single problem although I did regularly blow up the front D44.

The thing to remember about a full floating axle is that you don't need as hefty of an axle shaft as none of the vehicle's weight rides on the shaft. All the shaft has to do is transfer torque from the carrier to the wheels. It would be pretty hard to twist off a 23 spline D60 shaft with a 4.0L.

My bronco has a D60 out of a 73. It is a 30 spline and I paid 100 bucks for it. It is 4.10 and has been wheeled hard with 36s and not broke. Then again, I don't have a detroit or anything. Just a thought. Put full width axles and use hummer beadlocks to offset the axle width.

Back