• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chassis Stiffener or Front locker

Xtreme Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have enough to buy a rear locker and a front locker or a chassis stiffener. I can afford one but not both.

Is it going to be ok to have an auto locker in the front without hubs. I have the part time transfer case.

What would you guys do.

If by chassis stiffeners you mean a cage then go cage all the way. If its just the T&J stiffys then lock it. A good well designed set of rock rails will be just as good if attached to the "frame rails" properly.

AARON

go lockers and dont look back. one of the best mods you can possibly do. the traction difference is gigantic.

Xtreme Jeeper said:
how do they handle when they are in 4 lo on slickrock? Is it still fairly easy to turn with a locker in the front?
I haven't had any problems with my detroit and 4.88's and 4L on slickrock (ok, so it chirped a couple times :D )

Kejtar said:
Trutrac's suck..... get either good automatic locker or a selectable, don't waste money on a limited slip.

Suck is pretty harsh. You saw my rig go through the Rubicon with a pair of them (well, the rear was a Torsen, but same concept)... I didn't have any more trouble than you did with your detroits - and that was the only big difference between the rigs. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the full detroits are superior, but the trutrac's are far from junk...

I like them. They are a good choice for the right kind of rig...

Travis

Zebaru said:
Suck is pretty harsh. You saw my rig go through the Rubicon with a pair of them (well, the rear was a Torsen, but same concept)... I didn't have any more trouble than you did with your detroits - and that was the only big difference between the rigs. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the full detroits are superior, but the trutrac's are far from junk...
Yeah, but then I saw a rig equipped with one up front and a full detroit in the rear and the front was opening up in a gnarly section of a rock garden where front traction was really important.

They are a good choice for the right kind of rig...
That's true.

Kejtar said:
Yeah, but then I saw a rig equipped with one up front and a full detroit in the rear and the front was opening up in a gnarly section of a rock garden where front traction was really important.
If you have an Auto and can brake with your left....It LOCKS very nicely. The only trick is to ride the brake like you want to stop.

If you recall last year at Calico....I had a lot of trouble making it anywhere(because i didn't know how the trutrac worked). Now I can do it with ease...but you still won't catch me on Lower :)

i run locker front and rear. if i had to drive mine to work i would not run auto lockers as a daily driver, if you have to run around a lot in the snow. unless you are fully aware, and are willing to put up with some weird handling on the street. mostly the front will be real noticable in 4 hi, in turns for sure. also the size and type of tire will have a big influence on how the locker feels on the street. i ran a locker in just the rear and it was fine on the street almost always.(icy or snowy street it's squirrlyin 2wd only, but thats what 4wd is for) remember it will feel a lot different in low range, vs. hi, on or off road, at least mine does. in low range i rarely notice any steering problems, or bind, 4 hi on dry ground is very "stiff". now maybe it's just my old p.o.s. acting weird, but it is something to think about. you should try and find someone with a rig set up with lockers and drive it and see how you like it.

Back