• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the Blanket between Engine and Axle?

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a '95 XJ w/201k miles on it. 2.5L I4 / AX-5 Manual Trans.

There is a big mat tacked up under the engine, sorta a rubberish/fabric mix type material. It is above the axle, and steering, but below the motor. After 201k miles this mat is getting tattered, and started to drop down around the edges, and fall in the steering.

Can I pull this mat out, what the ramifications of not having it?

What's its purpose? I could see possibly protecting the motor from rocks getting kicked up? Does it effect air flow thru the radiator, can it hurt the cooling?

This is a 2WD XJ, and I don't plan on doing any off-roading.

It stops water from getting splashed up when driving in the rain. You can remove it without any real problem, but there is risk of getting water and such in your alternator causing it to fail. I don't have that guard, and have gone through two alternators in two years.

Rev Den said:
It does nothing usefull, your alternator will not fail any sooner without it. I have not had one for over 10 years....TOSS IT.

Rev

I agree.

If protecting your alternator is a goal, the rubber mat is doing little to accomplish it.

JMO

I haven't had one for two years.

I think there should be something under the alternator though, nothing on the market however. Make your own.

Yea, My Neon has the alternator mounted near the bottom of the engine, No splash guard, I've never had a problem with it. It gets plenty wet driving in the rain. Submerging the alternator is a different story, but I don't see how some water splashing on it is going to short out the internals, other than a fluke.

Different vehicle, different susceptibilities, but the Jeep alternator is much higher up than my little neon that never had a problem.

Last edited:
Rick Anderson said:
Hmmm, any ideas for a cheap, "SAFE" replacement. A material to use, that I can cut out myself and tack up there in its place?

I'd just track down a factory front skid plate if you dont have one, or not worry about it at all. If you arent driving in alot of puddles and or mud, it's not really a problem.

Everyone's right, it's like an appendix, the jeep can live without it.

But I got a junk splash shield from a 94 and put it on my 92, mine was hanging in tatters. I drive through sand, mud and water frequently and it keeps my motor dry and clean. I swear it warms up faster now too.

If your vehicle is all highway, its a non- essential

I agree with Drip.. It's not going to kill your rig.. But helps with dirt, debris, & water. I took mine off after it was barely hanging on.. I noticed that my engine gets dirtier alot quicker, but no big deal

It's just like covering your BBQ.. It'll weather a bit quicker.. but it'll live..

I've been meaning to replace it.. but that's after I do 10 other things to my XJ . :)
I heard that the black pond lining works great.. You can buy it hardware stores. You can also make it to cover more than just the stock one..

I just like having a clean engine & compartment.. I try to degrease it often. Sometimes after every trail run..

Elias

Just something to "muddy the waters", if anything it keeps you from cleaning the mud and crap out of the alternator, if an when it does stop working due to mud. The fact that it prevents a good cleaning may actually cause your alternator to fail quicker. :D

Rev

LOL

Ok.. If anything in my engine fails in the near future... I'm blaming you.. :D
Because, it's been good to me lately.. :)

Elias

Well I personally dont like the idea of mud and sand getting splashed into my alternator (but to each thier own)so I found the absolute best use for an old race slick and fabbed a bitchin splash shield out of one.....want picks? Tell me how to post them and I will..its water tight as a frogs a$$...as my XJ ISNT a pavement princess

I was driving the strip in Branson,Mo. about 4 years ago and noticed all the people walking towards me were staring at the front of my Jeep. I have unique license plates and thought they were looking at that until I stopped and noticed the guard was dragging the ground. I ripped it off. I've certainly driven in many rain storms and lots of snow since then and never had a problem. Is Jeep the only vehicle with a low mounted alternator? I never had this guard on other vehicles I've owned and didn't have a problem with them either.
HT

Rick Anderson said:
I just got a '95 XJ w/201k miles on it. 2.5L I4 / AX-5 Manual Trans.

There is a big mat tacked up under the engine, sorta a rubberish/fabric mix type material. It is above the axle, and steering, but below the motor. After 201k miles this mat is getting tattered, and started to drop down around the edges, and fall in the steering.

Can I pull this mat out, what the ramifications of not having it?

What's its purpose? I could see possibly protecting the motor from rocks getting kicked up? Does it effect air flow thru the radiator, can it hurt the cooling?

This is a 2WD XJ, and I don't plan on doing any off-roading.
Yes it will effect air flow, that's it's main funtion.
Part of it also keeps water out of the engine bay.
Oh and the best thing I found to make one is conveyor belting.

Last edited:
I had my engine replaced and didn't realize they hadn't put it back on for a few months. That was over 4 years ago. Other than the dirt issue, I haven't had any problems that I can directly relate to that. Even with the road salt they use up here. For $28, I may think about replacing it, which reminds me, the replacement hood liner push fasteners they sell at auto stores make a better fastner than the stock ones. They're like 2 inches around and cause lest strain on the liner. I still found a couple stuck in their mounting holes later even though the liner itself was gone.

Rev Den said:
Just something to "muddy the waters", if anything it keeps you from cleaning the mud and crap out of the alternator, if an when it does stop working due to mud. The fact that it prevents a good cleaning may actually cause your alternator to fail quicker. :D

Rev

So, I just ordered a new one. I'll be installing it sometime in the next few weeks.

I want to make it so I can remove this thing quick and easy. Those plastic one-way pins are too much of a PITA, and they get destroyed every time I pull them out. What do you guys think would work better here? something re-useable, and fast on and off.

Thanks
G

I cut off the side of a rubbermaid container for a small shield below the alternator. Not that one was needed when wheeling anyway as water will find it's way, but for on the road I'm sure it keeps water off of the alt.

I don't have one on my 87...

NO cooling issues either.......

NO alternator issues, AND I've dunked mine in the ocean already....

Yes, I gave it a LONG bath with plenty of water.....

Back