• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake fluid capacity...?

Deyman

NAXJA Forum User
I searched to try and find how much fluid to buy for a brake fluid flush and fill, but the only thing I could find was what type is recommended. How many bottles of fluid do I need to get? I'm doing new brakes all around this weekend including new rear wheel cylinders. Of course I just replaced the shoes this past fall, but one of the wheel cylinders decided to start leaking afterward and ruined the shoes :mad: That's life!

1 Qt

I'd recommend Valvoline Synthetic Brake Fluid OR Castrol GT LMA. I would NOT use DOT 4 unless it is recommended (ABS), or use one of the alternative DOT-4's like I listed above. If your going to get just plain old brake fluid, and you don't have ABS, just get DOT 3.

DOT 4 may have a boiling point much higher than DOT 3 (but DOT 3 boiling point is more than high enough, unless you have ABS), but it aborbs more water and much quicker than DOT 3. Thats why I use CASTROL GT LMA, its a different base stock than most brake fluids, it absorbs water less than DOT 3, but exceeds DOT 4 temperature performance. Plus the Castrol GT LMA different base stock is less corrosive on the brake parts. Valvoline Synthetic is the same way in water absorbtion vs performance, but I don't know if its synthetic base stock is easier on the brake parts or not, I "Imagine" so, but don't know.

I just did the job last night, I used a little more than a Qt, but I really over did it, making sure I flushed all the old fluid out, I kept pumping fluid out, even after the fluid coming out turned clear with the new fluid.

Consider spending the $20 on a set of speed bleeder while your at the auto store, they make the job SO MUCH EASIER, as well, it is more effective at eliminating the air than 2 person method or cheap vacuum pumps.

I think I use a little less than a full quart for a FULL fluid change (which I try to do every other year.)

Go the "speed bleeder" one step better - get the vacuum kit. Start out by taking all the fluid out of the M/cyl, and clean that out. Top it off, and have a helper keep the fluid level above half or so while you go under and vacuum-blleed the brakes. Make sure you run the vacuum until you get NO bubbles AND clear fluid - that crap you're seeing is what you're trying to get rid of...

I haven't had any trouble with the vacuum bleeder - but I am thinking of making an electric one just to save wear on the hands from those pistol vacuum pumps...

5-90

I made an electric one when I couldn't get my clutch bled. BEST THING EVER! Seriously. I took a one man brake bleeder jar and attached it to a 100% duty cycle vac pump I had laying about. Sucked a pint of fluid through the clutch in about 2 minutes. I got one of those switched extension cords like you get for a Christmas tree. Foot operated switch, so I could do it all myself.

Back