• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mj Gearing Question

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
Im planning on running 31s-33s on my 87 with an L6 an AX15 and an Np231, ive been told by some to run 4.10s and others not to because freeway speeds would be greatly reduced, I am thinking of running 3.73s because i figure with those i would get good all around performance. I need Help!

DansGreyMj said:
Im planning on running 31s-33s on my 87 with an L6 an AX15 and an Np231, ive been told by some to run 4.10s and others not to because freeway speeds would be greatly reduced, I am thinking of running 3.73s because i figure with those i would get good all around performance. I need Help!
What is it used for the most? If you ever hit the trails lower gears will be your friend.

On mine I ran 4.56 gears with 32's...It was very good and had no trouble going 80 on the highway. If you go with 3.73's and later get the 33's, you will kick yourself when you realize that you can't use you last gear in the tranny.

If you're paying for new gears (as opposed to junkyard axles), I'd do 4.10s for 31s, and at least 4.56 for 33s (my 88 MJ has 33s/4.10/4.0/ax-15). But I wouldn't sink a penny into a Dana 35. If money is tight, hunt down a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer for the rear and get one with 4.10s (you can get them with disks and/or a posi too). While you're at it, I would also grab a later model XJ front axle with 4.10s and the larger U-joints/shafts. Then sell off your current axles to recoup some of your costs. Junkyard axles can be cheaper in the long run if you choose 4.10s because better axles already exist in the 'yards with those gears.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

88, 86, 90 MJs

i just want to see this L6 engine man o man i can only imagine what the crank looks like.:kissyou:

i ran 4.56 with 33's an I6 and ax15 and that was good

L6 is an old-school but proper designation for an inline 6 engine. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it is.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I have an 89 XJ, 31's and 4.10's. 15 MPG. Commuting to work. Seems to do OK in 4Lo.

Back