• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ problems in reverse

KellyS.

NAXJA Member #1370
I have an 89 XJ Limited (4.0 auto.) that I started having problems with about 3 months ago. It has gradullay gotten worse. When you are backing up, it acts like the engine is cutting out intermittently. It doesn't seem to be a fuel problem, acts more like an electrical problem to me. It only does this in reverse. Runs great going forward. I replaced the passenger side motor mount that was in bad shape. The other day, it wouldn't start and nothing would work on it (radio, heater, lights). After moving the shifter from park to neutral a couple of times, it started up. It died one day after driving it about 50 yards and going over a speed bump in the parking lot at work. Could this be a bad ground from having the torn motor mount? Neutral safety switch? Any help would be greqatly appreciated.

The NSS switch might be involved as you describe the problem going away when you moved the shifter around. Google on NSS cleaning and you should find a writeup on disassembling the NSS and cleaning it. In any case, it can't cause the heater to not work. That sounds more like a bad ignition switch.

A common culprit for engine dying it the CPS sensor. It's on the upper, front, drivers side of the tranny bellhousing. Try unplugging and cleaning the connector located near the back of the intake manifold.

Back