• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 what ones will work

90xjwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I just blew my np231 out of my 90 5spd laredo 2drlast weekend and need to replace it. I was wondering what other years I can pull another one out of? Or can I rebuild mine with better internals. I havent torn it apart to even know if that is an option but I need to install my sye so either on mine or another tcase.
Thanks in advance
Tim

I don't recall the spline counts offhand, but check your transmission case to see what you've got. If the transmission has a longwise join down the case, it's the Peugeot gearbox, with the early spline count. If you don't have that longwise join, it's the AX15 - which is a better gearbox, and takes the later spline count (and expands the availability for you.)

I can't say for certain, since 1990 was the transition year. I think they switched in August, but the most reliable way to tell is to crawl under there and have a look.

Essentially, you can use ANY NP231 tcase as long as your input gear isn't toasted - if it is, you'll need one with matching spline count...

5-90

Back