• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long Arms, radius vs 3 link

cLAYH

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm planning a long arm build up for easter and had been thinking of doing a typical radius type setup with the upper arms dropping down to connect to the lower arms but I've heard that a 3 link setup works better. Seems to me that a radius arms setup would bind less than a 3link but I wonder about the wisdom of all that stress on where the lower arms connect to the body.

Can anyone give some comments on the two systems?

Nice, good find on that thread.

I'll just show you my personal results to sort of go along with what's in that thread.

I recently finished doing a radius arm-style front on my XJ, with an 'upper' arm on each side. I did that for more on-road characteristics than anything else, and I figured I'd try it like that first offroad, and if it led to binding then I had designed it to be strong enough with just a single arm. As of now, that second upper arm hasn't been the cause of any binding issues.

The arms are slightly more angled than true 'radius' arms the way I built it...I did this for clearance issues and also to help ease some of the lateral stresses from the panhard mount. Here's a pic of the angle on the arms, and you can also see where the upper arm branches off. Never mind the somewhat bent D30 mount, that happened before the radius arms.

lafinal%20015.jpg

The standard 'upper' mounting, using a heim joint at the mid-arm mount, and the stock UCA bushings on the axle.

lafinal%20005.jpg

Here's with the system fully flexed, at least to the limits of the too-short shocks I have now. You can see that the johnny joints are doing all of the work:

lafinal%20023.jpg

and the axle end bushings really aren't doing anything:

lafinal%20024.jpg

Here's what the movement of the arms looks like:

lafinal%20022.jpg

Overall, I've been really happy with it. I haven't logged many road miles with it, as it's not insured at the moment, but I've had it up to 60 mph or so and it felt great. On the trail, it flexes not necessarily 'better' than the short arms did, but a lot easier - the axle seems to travel much more freely than it did before. Like, what I thought was a stiff coil spring rate before, was partially binding. Since installing the longarms the leaf springs aren't doing as much as they used to.

The biggest question is in terms of hill climbs and stuff - and honestly, I didn't notice it that much. The front felt stable enough that I was comfortable on steep climbs, however like I mentioned before, my shocks are basically limiting downtravel right now. Maybe with longer front shocks I'd notice more of a difference.

I haven't had experience driving a 3-linked front yet (well, assuming that means 3-link + panhard), so I can't directly compare the two. I just figured I'd share some development experience with a radius arm setup.

Last edited:
Back