• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decisions: RE 4.5" or BDS 4.5 "

Lighterknot

NAXJA Forum User
OK here is the deal, I can get the RE 6130 4.5" Superflex kit for $890 to my door. Or the BDS 4.5" kit for $1415 to my door. Is there that much difference between these two kits to warrant the extra $525? I have searched this forum for the last week or so and can't find the "knockout blow" to sway my decision one way or the other. My plan is to run 33s and in the future have the option to add spacers/shackles and trim to run 35s. Either of these kits should fill that bill, and there aren't any other kits that jump out at me as far as quality and that have a good following on the board. This is a DD but also a weekend warrior so strength and reliability are a concern.

What do yall think?

if you are going to go BDS, you may as well get the 5.5"RE kit for the same price, it comes with CA drop brackets which you will need any higher than 4.5", my ride was pretty harsh w/out them even at 3.5". W/drop brackets you can go higher when you want. just my .02 cents.

I really have no need for the 5.5" and don't have the money to swap axles for tires bigger than 35...not even sure why BDS was one of the options, I had the RE 3.5" on my TJ that I sold and never had problems with it. I will probably go RE that way I can get the lift and the SYE/driveshaft for about the same price as the BDS.

Sounds like a good deal for the RE kit, that is about what I paid for my 3.5"SF kit a while ago, just went Full Traction long arms.

Lighterknot said:
I really have no need for the 5.5" and don't have the money to swap axles for tires bigger than 35...not even sure why BDS was one of the options, I had the RE 3.5" on my TJ that I sold and never had problems with it. I will probably go RE that way I can get the lift and the SYE/driveshaft for about the same price as the BDS.
$1400 seems WAY too steep for the BDS kit. I have their 3" kit which I got for $760 with shocks. I have no clue why 1.5" more would be almost 2x as much. Check around at some other places. BDS is pricey to be sure, but you're paying for that lifetime spring warranty. If I had it to do again, I would've gone RE. I don't ever see myself breaking a spring.

yeah that price on the BDS is about $150 cheaper to my door than the other place I called...they have a no advertised price policy or something so you have to e-mail or call to get the price from anyone. I am leaning RE for sure, but a buddy of mine has a 98 XJ with 24.25" between the centerline of his rims and the lip of the flare which should be around a 6.5" lift...he has no SYE and says he doesn't have vibes, I don't know if it is shimmed or not, but he is trying to contact the original owner to find out the brand of the lift, because it rides so good. I want to wait to see what his is before I make my decision. Any other 4.5"-5" kits around the same price as the RE i should consider?

Lighterknot said:
yeah that price on the BDS is about $150 cheaper to my door than the other place I called...they have a no advertised price policy or something so you have to e-mail or call to get the price from anyone. I am leaning RE for sure, but a buddy of mine has a 98 XJ with 24.25" between the centerline of his rims and the lip of the flare which should be around a 6.5" lift...he has no SYE and says he doesn't have vibes, I don't know if it is shimmed or not, but he is trying to contact the original owner to find out the brand of the lift, because it rides so good. I want to wait to see what his is before I make my decision. Any other 4.5"-5" kits around the same price as the RE i should consider?
He may not have vibes, but you could get them at only 2". Each Jeep is different, so plan to budget it in. You could consider Rusty's parts. Some people hate them and some people love them. They are usually less expensive. Have you thought about piecing together a lift kit? It may be more expensive, but sometimes it's the only way to get it how you want.

i have thought about piecing together a lift, but for the size tires i am running the RE 4.5" kit is pretty complete and the price i was quoted to my door seems to be very competitive. The only thing I am not sure about is extended bump stops...will i need them? I don't think the RE kit comes with them but I could be wrong

Lighterknot said:
i have thought about piecing together a lift, but for the size tires i am running the RE 4.5" kit is pretty complete and the price i was quoted to my door seems to be very competitive. The only thing I am not sure about is extended bump stops...will i need them? I don't think the RE kit comes with them but I could be wrong
Yeah, you probably will need bumpstops depending on how much trimming you do. They are always a good idea. You'd rather have a piece of rubber stop your tires than your fender. You can make front stops out of hockey pucks and get adjustable rear stops from DPG. Check www.rocklizardfabrications.com for a great write-up about these things.

Back