• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Grinding

Terd

NAXJA Forum User
Can the stock Cam be ground to match the Wolverine Cam that I have seen mentioned here, if so what are the specs on that cam?TIA

Why would you want to grind a cam even more than stock, Am I missing anything here

Just wondering if the stock lobes can be ground to match lift and duration of one of the high perf cams that I saw someone talk about here...I think the profile on the stock cams is sufficient for reshaping into a high perf cam...I think that is what you get when you buy an aftermarket cam, a cam that has been ground that is...not sure, that's what I'm looking for.TIA>..

Back in the ancient days of non-detergent oil and flat-top hair cuts...it was common to regrind a cam for more lift...essentially you grind the base circle smaller...then add longer pushrods to make up the difference....a variation of this scheme is to hard weld the nose of the lobe and regrind that to gain duration. This is still done in a limited way for odd cams where the manufacturer can't get new billets to work with.

In either case, max gross lift is determined by how "tall" you can make the lobes and still get them to clear the cam bearings when you install the cam in combination with how small a base circle can be tolerated by the lifter...conventional flat tappet lifters will not tolerate a fast ramp rate because of mechanical limitations...the cure is roller lifters...

Anyways...it will be much cheaper to buy a new cam and appropriate lifters.

Thanks muddawg, I was thinking that the desired lift could be attained but I know duration would be limited as far as what I could get out of the stock grind...anyway I appreciate the input...

Back