• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowbuck Tubing Bender

STEELFISH

NAXJA Forum User
So I am kicking around the idea of a Tubing bender. I have searched and found nothing specifically on the the Lowbuck bender, it seems they have a "special" on the tubing bender, notcher, and tube clamps for $860 shipped. Anyone ever use there bender? I know about Pro Tools, and JD2, and Mitlers, Hossfeld(spelling) , and some others but I have not specifically read or heard much about the Lowbuck one. Gimme your input.

I have the Lowbuck tubing bender with 1.5" dies. It works well, is fairly simple to use but is limited to 90* bends or less. I fabbed a roll cage for a Manx type dune buggy I was building and it worked fine for that. I never got really good at complex bend, meaning ones with different angle or direction bends on one piece of tubing.

I know of some people using the JD2 bender and notcher and they are very happy with it as well.

I don't know if Lowbuck is building their own or putting their name on a mass produced version as I have seen a couple other companies come out with benders that look exactly like the Lowbuck, just different colors. They all seem to be about the same price for the unit or the dies so I am figuring one company is making them all. From what I can tell, if you don't need to go more then 90* it's a very good unit.

Good luck.

I took a good look at the H.F. one (actually I think they had 2 or 3) and I have known a few people with them. They work okay. The biggest difference with them versus Lowbuck or similar is that the HF one "pushes" the tubing to make the bend versus the LB "pull" the tubing to make the bend. If you try to thin of wall with the HF one, it will pinch the outer part of the tubing and too thick, it doesn't get a clean bend. Most professional styles pull the tubing around the die to get a clean bend.

Just my .02 worth. If you are going to use it one time, the HF might work fine but you will find you might need it more then you think. Might be better to get the LB one.

y-townxj said:
i saw some really nice work over the weekend dun on a 150 dollar tubeing bender from harbor frait
Careful, the Harbor Freight bender is a Pipe Bender and there are a lot of guys on here that say "Pipe is for poop", However for modest bumpers and such the pipe works fine, in fact Dad and I have used it on his bumpers on his Exploder and it looks great and has really held up to a lot of abuse, a lot of it depends upon pipe quality. Just hang on for some of the naxja god's (not that I don't bask on some of the knowledge guys) rath.
j

kick this around on pirate i have remember seeing a link for on that cost about 150 to 200 bucks for the bender and another 125-150 for the dies. i think it cost a lil over 300 with one die. if you stick with a medium sized pipe like say 1.5" you could have a cheap bender and make it practical for just about every thing. i have also seen the hf bender and it can be made to loof good but sch40 pipe just isnt what id want for a cage personally.

Back