• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running doorless

cherowagon

NAXJA Forum User
so, i know a lot of you guys run doorless. but my question is this. after a long season of wheeling, has anyone had problems putting thier doors back on a few months later? does everything line up? i know the unibody twists and turns, and i would not want to not be able to use my doors if i take them off for the summer to wheel.

doors dont offer any structual support, therefore, the unibody shouldnt flex any differently with them off, and go back on just as it were before

in theory....

while they are not structural they do offer some benifit. Around here we run alon alot of canyon walls. They tend to reach out and grab the vehicle. It was recommended to me not to run doorless as the rocks will just hang up on the door jambs, and door jambs with rock rash make it hard to put them make one of ever have them seal right. The sheetmetal one the doors help the rocks keep sliding, so instead of tube doors, I'm gonna make a set of half doors/full trail doors.

i ran mine doorless all summer, and when i put the doors back on they actually went straight on and fit more closely than they did when they were taken off! i know it's a fluke, but i was stoked to be able to drive thru the car wash again without having to stuff towels into where the door seals are by the A pillar.

the answer can be found by searching....

not to hijack, but i love having my doors off but those summer storms like to pop up when im nowhere near my doors so i always get a soaked seat and floorboards full of water. i think it would be really cool if somebody made some snap on or velcro door covers for times like that.

My friend took some salvaged XJ doors cut'em in half and riveted some button snaps on the frame of the door and had some pretty cool lookin doors that were awesome for wheeling. Look similar in a way to the wrangler half doors, except they were reinforced for rock rash. I could put pictures up but wouldn't be anytime this week.

trainwrexj said:
i ran mine doorless all summer, and when i put the doors back on they actually went straight on and fit more closely than they did when they were taken off! i know it's a fluke, but i was stoked to be able to drive thru the car wash again without having to stuff towels into where the door seals are by the A pillar.

Did you ever get pulled over for not having doors? I thought about taking mine off, but I don't want to get harrassed.

Matt98XJ said:
Did you ever get pulled over for not having doors? I thought about taking mine off, but I don't want to get harrassed.

you have to check your local laws. The doors are of no matter here, however, the mirror(s) on the doors are.

I run 3 seasons with no doors/mirrors, and haven't had a problem,,, yet.

olivedrabcj7 said:
the answer can be found by searching....

not to hijack, but i love having my doors off but those summer storms like to pop up when im nowhere near my doors so i always get a soaked seat and floorboards full of water. i think it would be really cool if somebody made some snap on or velcro door covers for times like that.
someone actually did make some of these and they use to sell them. dont know if they still do or what the website is, but its out thee somewhere. as you put it, they answer can be found by searching ;)

oh and dont take your doors off. none of these dumb newbs know what there talking about. if you do it will fold like a taco. just look at rev dens avatar.

trainwrexj said:

didnt you also have a run in with the lovely local county deputy cuz u were running doorless?:D

Back