• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock Right VS. Powertrax

Xtreme Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into getting a locker for my 8.25". I know that they are both made by the same company, but for the price difference is it worth it for the Powertrax?

How loud is the ratcheting of the lock right?? I am runnin 33" with stock gearing...I want the locker to withstand what Im going to give it. I'm more of a finesse driver than a hammerhead if that helps the situation.

I have a LockRight in the front of my XJ, which is a DD. No regrets. Only hear the ratcheting when the windows are down. If your running 33's on stock gears, you might want to save your bones to regrear before purchasing a locker. Just a thought.

Well, if the question is lock-rite vs. no-slip for the 8.25, you have to ask what year it is. If it's a 97+ XJ, then you have no choice but the no-slip, since it's 29 spline. If it's 96 and older, then you have no choice but the lock-rite (although I've heard rumors that some of the "classic" 96 XJs that were at the end of the year may have 29 spline axles. this may be a rumor, or maybe just a jeep thing).

The no-slip is a little smoother than the lock-rite. The aussie is smoothest, and was designed by the same guy who designed the lock-rite, it's just different material and slighlty different design, but basically the same thing.

On the trail, they're all the same, all 3 of them work.

Like someone already said, if you're on 33s and stock gears, you may want to wait to regear and get a full detroit or arb, or electrac or whatever your wallet will afford you, but I think we all understand you're wanting a locker NOW! That being said, I got a great deal on a lock-rite for my XJ from a guy who had it in his XJ for ~2000 miles and then decided that he needed to go with bigger axles. My friend got a great deal on the locker he had in the d30 too!!! If you've got money, and like to be generous to those of us who are still in college and can't afford a brand new locker, by all means!!

Oh yeah, the ratcheting isn't that loud. it only happens when you coast around turns, and all of them do it. If the noise is a serious concern, you probalby shouldn't be thinking about a locker.

I'm not concerned about the poppping, and the chatter of the locker I know they all make noises...my dad has a YJ with a detroit. I was just wanting to know if its going to be loud and obnoxious. Is the ratcheting a loud thing or do you have to listen for it?

I dont think i will be gearing down for the meantime, I only really use it for around town purposes and it doesnt lack power for 90% of what I use it for, and when I do I just shift down into 3rd.

What about reliability? Are they all about the same for a lunchbox locker?

boomhauer said:
oops, old post.

As of now.....8 hours old.......

Yer right, very old.:laugh3:

spring the extra $ for a no slip in the rear. in the front a lock right is fine. but in the rear where it gets constant power, go with a no slip. a LOT quieter than a lock right and better behaved. both are great offroad.

I've been running LockRights front and rear for years now with 32's, then 33's. There is an occasional noise from the rear when the stereo is off and I'm paying attention. It's actually nice to hear it...tells me that everything is OK in the diff.

Last time I had the covers off they both looked fine and I've got over 50,000 miles on each of them. They've been through Moab and the Rubicon and a lot of daily driving and they work great...you shouldn't be disapointed.

with your 95, you're going to get a lockrite.

My friend just got a used detroit ez-locker, and it came in a carrier. I took it apart for him last night and was suprised by the amount of moving parts in it. Way more complicated than a lock rite, more parts to break, and more complicated to install. The complications just made it so that once it unlocks one side the gears have to spin a full 360 before locking back in, unlike a lock-rite, which can spin as little as one tooth at a time. Irregardless, they both work good.

Every EZ Locker I've ever seen is identical to a LockRight. Are you sure that's what you were looking at?

John90XJ said:
Every EZ Locker I've ever seen is identical to a LockRight. Are you sure that's what you were looking at?

Nope. My friend told me that it was an ez-locker and I'd never seen one before. I guess the guy that sold it to him told him that too? I didn't think it was, cause we went onto detroits site and the pics didn't look alike, but now I've seen pictures of the no-slip, and it is definitely a no-slip. my bad. the no-slip has a ton of moving parts. Some of the saddle springs were messed up. Here's some pics of taking it apart, just to show you what a no-slip is like. I'd take any of the lunchbox lockers, they all work good.

Pounding out the cross shaft pin
1595969_130_full.jpg

cross shaft removed, saddle springs falling out.
1595969_131_full.jpg

Inner/Outer springs removed, and one driver. Notice the active spacer inside the driver
1595969_129_full.jpg

Now you can see the active spacer from the other side. Kinda strange how it works, but cool. Also, you can kinda see how some of the saddle springs are messed up. They don't terminate with a flat surface, and they are shorter than some of the other ones. I think that these saddle springs just keep the noise down??
1595969_128_full.jpg

1595969_132_full.jpg

Two halves
1595969_134_full.jpg

FYI: "Powertrax" is the brand/company name. Powertrax makes the LockRight and the No-Slip.

Saying Lock Right vs Powertrax is like saying Cherokee vs Jeep.

Jeepin Jason said:
FYI: "Powertrax" is the brand/company name. Powertrax makes the LockRight and the No-Slip.

Saying Lock Right vs Powertrax is like saying Cherokee vs Jeep.

powertrax and all are made by richmond!!!!!

OK. And Jeeps are built by DaimlerChrysler. The Detroit brand of TADs are built by TracTech, or atleast that's the parent company. Point is, "Powertrax" is a brand name, not a specific model.

Back