• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 Hi Pinion with drums

XTrmXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Front D44 are rare here in my parts, at least for the ones that have the perches welded on instead of cast.. I found a full width but the only problem is that it has drum brakes (70-73' Ford, not sure) what Im looking to do is to take the nukles from a Grand Waggy with discs and install them on the full width D44.. Ive done the measurments and all and its a direct bolt on, my only concern is what is the spline count on the drum axle and is it worth it to use it for the front and a locker, with 5.13 gears? When I got to the junk yard they were getting ready to close and all I had time for was to do some quick measuring for the nukles, I am planniing to head back out there tomorrow if it doesnt rain...

should be or is?

Its the open nuckle design, its also not the flat top but the knuckle has the the steering arm up high

XTrmXJ said:
Its the open nuckle design, its also not the flat top but the knuckle has the the steering arm up high

You're good to go then. It's basically exactly the same as any other Ball Joint 44. You can swap Chevy/Jeep/Ford discs on with no problem. The wedges can be easily removed, and you can swap in any shaft so long as it works with whatever length you're after. Good luck..........:thumbup:

tealcherokee said:
i found it easier to swap spindles and backing plates then the entire knuckle

the ford knuckles for drum brakes wont work with the ford 5 stud calipers...

the drum brake knuckles dont have the notch for the caliper...

Any idea what spline count it would have? The paddles are also welded on so those will be removed and I will install the Grand Waggy knuckles, do I need to grab the waggys stub shafts, or can I still use the fords stub or end shafts?

XTrmXJ said:
Any idea what spline count it would have?

91 Jeep Project said:
It's basically exactly the same as any other Ball Joint 44.

If you use the Ford stub with the waggy parts; you won't be able to get a clip on. But this has proven to be a non issue. If you can grab the waggy stubs, might as well. If you want to save the couple bucks, that works too.

Ill just grab everything and go from there

XTrmXJ said:
Any idea what spline count it would have? The paddles are also welded on so those will be removed and I will install the Grand Waggy knuckles, do I need to grab the waggys stub shafts, or can I still use the fords stub or end shafts?

19 spline

you want to match your spindle to your stub shaft in order to use the C-clip and seal your hub effectively...

XJ_ranger said:
19 spline

you want to match your spindle to your stub shaft in order to use the C-clip and seal your hub effectively...

SO now theres conflicting info, Im hearing also though other 5 different spline counts, I wasnt able to get the axle because it rained all day

I have one from a '75 F-1100. 30 inner 19 outer. I have a complete outers set from a '78 that I will be putting on.

Some folks posted the website link for Mr. N. He is the one with all the D-44 info...GREAT website. If memory serves the drum brake knuckles have to be swapped for disc knuckles (if you stay with ford parts) as the drum knuckles are 6 bolt and the disc are 5.

BUT from his website the axle shaft lengths/diameters/spline counts look to be the same in all the HP 44's for the '70's EXCEPT for the f-150 super cab and the F-250 axles.

043500 said:
If memory serves the drum brake knuckles have to be swapped for disc knuckles (if you stay with ford parts) as the drum knuckles are 6 bolt and the disc are 5.

This is incorrect. All Ford Spindles/knuckles are a 5 bolt hole pattern, and all Chevy/Jeep are 6. The drum brake knuckles have to be changed out, as already mentioned by Opie, because they do not have a notch in them for the disc calipers.

91 Jeep Project said:
This is incorrect. All Ford Spindles/knuckles are a 5 bolt hole pattern, and all Chevy/Jeep are 6. The drum brake knuckles have to be changed out, as already mentioned by Opie, because they do not have a notch in them for the disc calipers.
the older ford stuff (non-disk brake and old closed knuckle) is 6 stud...

Back