• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this rim size work for 31x10.5's?

JofCore

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all!

I have a 1991 XJ with a 3" lift on it, and I'm going to be putting 31x10.5's on it soon. From reading the messages here and other places on the net, I have come to the conclusion that this rim size should work:

15x7 5 on 4.5 w/4.5" backspacing (here's a link: http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/pr...=1217&osCsid=224f49e745787b0afac758f1efb31c4f)

But I wanted to double check before I went ahead and ordered anything. I want to make sure that I have no rubbing @ full steering lock, and also it would be nice if I didn't have to worry about scraping the plastic on the fenders w/full articulation. Will the rim size/backspacing that I've chosen above give me what I'm looking for...? I've found other places that seem to recommend 15x8 w/3.75 BS so I wanted to double check and see what some other XJ owners think first.

thx!

Last edited:
full articulation is a relative statement. which 3 inch kit do you have... if it's say a cheap kit then maybe those won't work without rubbing, but if you have say a Rubicon Express kit your 3 inch lift will net more than 3 inches and then yes... for all intensive purposes your setup will probably work with minor trimming to your fenderwells.

Ok, well I don't plan on slamming it too hard (it's an old truck! :) )

It's a Rough Country 3" kit, BTW. More or less just want to make sure I don't have any rubbing on steering lock w/that backspacing. The fender trimming is kinda secondary... but less backspacing (like 3.75") will push my wheels out further, correct? (which would mean more possible trimming)

So I just wanted to be sure that 4.5" was a good enough BS to keep from rubbing on the control arms which I've heard is a problem w/stock wheels...

thx!

If you're not going to stuff your tires all that much an easy solution is to order some of rustys control arms for stock wheels. They have a slight bend in them to help clear the wheels when in steering lock, and I also believe if you get a set of ZJ control arms, they are bent as well.

Hmm, well I already have aftermarket LCA's on it, got them w/my Rough Country lift kit. So I'm not planning on doing any more to the suspension for now...

Just want to get the best rim I can that will clear my LCA's, and not stick out that far so it (most likely) won't contact the plastic on the fenders. But the plastic on the fenders is secondary, my primary concern is to make sure that I don't rub my tires on anything when turning sharply.

go to quadratec.com and buy some 15x8 4" bs black D or Circle 8 style cragar wheels for cheaper $33-$36....they usually ship in a day depending on your location close to PA or NV where they have warehouses.....15x8 is also good if your ever going to go bigger and if you stick with 10.50s they will make the foot print of the tire a little wider.

I have these on my 1991 XJ in the 15x8 size with 30x99.50s w/ 4" BS and I dont have any rubbing what so ever.

just my .02cents

If the tires rub the fenders then get longer bumpstops...if you even care. You probalby won't get good enough flex with a RC kit though...go rusty's or re if you can.

urbancrawler22 said:
go to quadratec.com and buy some 15x8 4" bs black D or Circle 8 style cragar wheels for cheaper $33-$36....they usually ship in a day depending on your location close to PA or NV where they have warehouses.....15x8 is also good if your ever going to go bigger and if you stick with 10.50s they will make the foot print of the tire a little wider.

I have these on my 1991 XJ in the 15x8 size with 30x99.50s w/ 4" BS and I dont have any rubbing what so ever.

just my .02cents

cool, someone else suggested those wheels as well but the price @ quadratec makes them even more attractive. Looks like this may be the way I go, thx!

For anyone interested; I decided to go w/the Cragar rims from quadratec, as they also have the tires I wanted. I got the rims and tires installed over the weekend, and it seems to be working out good. I do have slight rubbing on the black plastic in the front fenders when I take sharp corners, but I can fix that by trimming some plastic methinks.

before and after pix if anyone cares: http://www.hanser.org/gussie-tires

thx for all the suggestions and help!

Looks good. I love those tires by the way. How much did you get them for, if you don't mind me asking. I need a set!

just for reference... I have the stock steelies (15x7, backspace ???), 31x10.5x15's, ~4 rustys lift, and tubular lca's.... I get very little rub on full lock, .25" and they wouldnt hit the lca's. Bumpstoped and dont rub when flexing. Only trimmed very little plastic off the bumper end caps near the fender liner.

I run the 15x8 rock crawlers and a 4.5 rusty's lift. I also have jks disco's 31x10.5 BFG AT/KO. The wheels have 4.5" backspacing. If you don't run disconnects you might be ok, but when I flex and turn, I hit all kinds of front fender. I noticed the other day, it bent the lower part of the fender. I'm going to cut right above the bumper, and that should solve my problem. see some b/a pics here.

http://www.croswyndcrew.com/lonnie/Jeep.htm

mjma said:
Looks good. I love those tires by the way. How much did you get them for, if you don't mind me asking. I need a set!

I got them from quadratec.com for $102 a piece. They have them listed as $114 I think, but I called them and got them to match the price I found here: http://www.sams4x4store.com/SuperSwamperTrxus.htm, since quadratec had the rims I wanted and sams4x4 didn't. There's also a $15/tire shipping fee for each tire from quadratec.. in addition to the standard shipping (that may or may not be listed on the shipping page -- it wasn't when I ordered but they're since said they're going to fix that...)

Back