• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 AW4 in '90 MJ?

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry guys I know this is on here somewhere, but searching for anything that includes "AW4" can take days. Figured somebody know off the top of thier head so here goes: How hard would it be to use a '93 AW4/242 combo in my '90 MJ? The MJ currently sports a t-flite and 207 but I have a '93 country I'm scrapping. Can the newer AW4 be used with a Renix era TCU? I don't actually have a spare Renix TCU, but I could get one. Can I use the '93 TCU in my Renix truck, don't think so but hey. Regardless, what would I need to make it work? Is it worth it or should I just hunt down an earlier AW4? Thanks in advance for any input. The truck finally hits the road this week and I don't think I'll be able to stand that t-flite (not to mention the 207) for very long.

BTW, yes it really does have a t-flite in it. No, I don't know why. I assume it's all the previous owner had when the B/A-10 crapped out.

Last edited:
4.0 or 2.5?

Im guessing 2.5

I assume youd need a new bellhousing, since I assume to AW4 came from a 4.0

then driveshafts. Im sure theyre different lengths (I happen to have a AW4 comanche driveshaft!)

Sorry, I suppose I should have clarified that one. The truck is, in fact, a 4.0. That's why I mentioned it being odd for it to have a t-flite. Thanks for the offer of the driveshaft, but that's not really what I'm worried about. I know I can get it in there, it's actually making it function properly that I'm worried about.

Then youd just need the TCU. They are differnt between manuals and autos (obviously)

Youd also need the TB for the kickdown cable. But you have a renix and a HO, so something would have to be fabbed there. Or a JY setup.

So the sensors are the same basically, just need to wire them up to a renix TCU? Here's where it gets a little odd, I remembered as soon as you mentioned it that Renix and HO flexplates are different. Thought for a moment that that would be an issue. However, the engine runs with the t-flite in it, so what the heck kinda flexplate is in there now? Obviously the CPS is reading properly. Would a t-flite accept an AW4 flexplate? Or do I have a flex-plate out of a Renix/t-flite YJ? Were there even Renix YJ's? Also, I assume I already have an auto TB as there is a TV cable on it. Will the '93 cable work? Haven't actually looked at the TPS but I'll assume I'm gonna need one of those for an AW4.

Last edited:
tchase said:
So the sensors are the same basically, just need to wire them up to a renix TCU? Here's where it gets a little odd, I remembered as soon as you mentioned it that Renix and HO flexplates are different. Thought for a moment that that would be an issue. However, the engine runs with the t-flite in it, so what the heck kinda flexplate is in there now? Obviously the CPS is reading properly. Would a t-flite accept an AW4 flexplate? Or do I have a flex-plate out of a Renix/t-flite YJ? Were there even Renix YJ's? Also, I assume I already have an auto TB as there is a TV cable on it. Will the '93 cable work? Haven't actually looked at the TPS but I'll assume I'm gonna need one of those for an AW4.

Having done some research and having swapped a 99 AW4 into my 89 MJ, I can offer some insight.

The AW4 transmission and sensors are the same between a 93 and 89 AW4. The TCU is virtually identical between the Renix and HO engine up to 96, so you can use the existing 93 TCU. I think the comfort/power feature switch was deleted and the shift points tweaked a bit when Jeep switch to the HO engine which just means a few less wires to deal with. Also the later TCU will have wires for an odb connection which you can leave disconnected. So yes, you can use the 93 AW4 and TCU with the Renix computer.

Note in 1996/1997 the AW4 and TCU changed. The rear sensor changed from 1 pulse/rev to 4 pulse/rev, a front shaft speed sensor was added. The connector on the TCU is the same, but the connectors for the tranny wiring harness are different.

The Renix setup has an extra output from the TPS sensor wired directly to the TCU, so you'll need to swap the TPS if the torqueflite didn't have the same TPS. On 93 HO engine, the TPS doesn't have dual outputs, but instead gets a copy of the TPS output from the engine computer. For this swap, just wire the second set of outputs from the TPS to the TCU.

As for wiring, it's not trivial, but not too bad if you're good with wiring and don't mind opening up the wiring harness in the engine bay. You'll need the NSS switch on the side of tranny, wiring harness, tranny computer, tps, and tranny cable. You'll really need the wiring diagram to figure out where the extra wires from the tranny computer go and to hookup the backup light. There is a switch on the brake pedal that needs to get wired up (tell the tranny computer to unlock the torque converter if you step on the brake). You can ignore the handful of wires that go to the diagnostic port.

On the tranny cable, again I don't know what the torqueflite has, but you may need to find the bracket that holds the cable and swap the plate on the end of the throttle shaft to the one with the cable extra post. The tranny end of the AW4 cable is attached internally, so you'll need to keep that as well.

No idea on the flexplate. I'm using a 1990 flexplate with a 99 AW4. Don't know if the torque flight would bolt up, but you do need to use a flexplate from another Renix setup.

Driveshaft lengths may be an issue. You will probably need to swap the shifter and deal with the key/brake interlock.

This is a big job, have I scared you yet?

lawsoncl said:
Having done some research and having swapped a 99 AW4 into my 89 MJ, I can offer some insight.

Driveshaft lengths may be an issue. You will probably need to swap the shifter and deal with the key/brake interlock.

This is a big job, have I scared you yet?

Thanks a tonne man, that helps a lot.

Scared? Not at all, in fact since it sounds so fun I think I'll try to complicate it a bit. Being accustomed to the ealier selectable shift modes I found the '93 holding gears a little longer than I'd like at times. So... I think I will swap the TCU out of my '91HO XJ off-road racer, which does have the mode selector, into the MJ and the '93 TCU into the '91. Also since I have the ability to read the TCU diagnostic port I may try to retain that. I actually do have a spare Renix auto TPS laying around somewhere, totally forgot about that. Driveshafts are a non issue really, current front shaft in the truck is some sort of adjustable length cv unit and if that one won't work I'll have the one from the '93. As for the rear, I'll either pick one up somewhere or have the current one shortened (it's not the rubber filled one BTW).
Now I just have to figure out whether I need another flexplate or not. Anyone know?

Back