• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01XJ, AASYE, OME3", What degree shims?

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm aware that the shim degree requirements tend to vary among different lifted Cherokees, especially due to numerous variables.

However, based on your experience, what do you think would be an appropriate degree for shims on an 2001 XJ, Auto, w/ 8.25 rear, Advance Adapters SYE, stock shackles, no tcase drop, and generous OME JC1B (around 3") rear springs?

This may require trial and error, but I'm looking for a ballpark degree - one that would probably work, and yield no vibrations whatsoever. I'd like to install the correct shims the first time, and this isn't that much lift, so it should be feasible.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks! :)

Stock:
57563133_ce6ed63c60.jpg

I'm using a 4 degree at 3".

HTH

cshontz said:
This may require trial and error

you already know the answer.

Get a angle finder check the difference between the pinion and DS. set it about 2* low

cshontz said:
...This may require trial and error, but ... I'd like to install the correct shims the first time, and this isn't that much lift, so it should be feasible...

Well, no offense, but which is it? Are you willing to muddle through with trial and error, or would you prefer taking the time to do it right, and actually measure what you'll need?

I would (and did) measure. It's not hard, angle finders are cheap, and you can even get it done with just a carpenters square and a calculator, if that's all you have, like I did...

But if you want a guess, try 3*. That way if it's not enough, you can double up on one side, to see if 6* would be better. Trial and error...

Robert

Among the thousands of people who installed 3" of lift on Cherokee similar to mine, I'm sure the cumulative experience of these individuals would point to degree shims within a specific range.

All I'm looking for is the instant gratification of installing my suspension without supplemental trips to the auto parts store. If I have sufficient data to achieve this, then that's great. If not - then that's no big deal either. :)

None on mine. Runs pretty smooth till you get to 85mph, and unless you getting on it real hard. ____2000, 3", 8.25, no T/C drop, stock drive shaft

I used 2.5* shims on mine @4.5" with a d35 and a 1.5" t-case drop.

I'm @ about 6.5" now and needed 4* with a d44 and no t-case drop, in fact, the tnt kit raised the t-case about another .75" above stock IIRC. I used a 1.75" lift shackle on re 4.5" springs, that helped with the angle a little. It probably would have used 6* shims without the shackle, but I'm guessing.

hope this helps

Aaron

Back