• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket, tree-resistant mirror ideas?

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
Well, after this last wheeling trip I tore up both of my mirrors on the same obstacle (broke the mounting piece on the door). Has anyone used any aftermarket mirrors, ones that could be folded up and out of the way.

I was thinking about some of the generic CJ mirrors that could be rigged to mount behind the hood (there is a square piece of sheetmetal on either side that looks like it would work well as a mounting point).

I gotta do this for cheap since I tore up my tail lights also.

1990XJ4x4 said:
Well, after this last wheeling trip I tore up both of my mirrors on the same obstacle (broke the mounting piece on the door). Has anyone used any aftermarket mirrors, ones that could be folded up and out of the way.

I was thinking about some of the generic CJ mirrors that could be rigged to mount behind the hood (there is a square piece of sheetmetal on either side that looks like it would work well as a mounting point).

I gotta do this for cheap since I tore up my tail lights also.

It's not actually cheap unless you're lucky, but I've been really happy with the 97+ mirrors. They fold 90* inward and will fold about 45* outward so you have a chance of saving them. The stock 84-96 mirrors cost less but tend to be destroyed more often.

I've also heard and seen people taking a steel plate, welding three nuts on it in the same pattern as the existing mirror to fit it to the door. To that plate they attach about 1.5" or so of 1 x 1" square tube. They then mount an inexpensive mirror to a piece of 3/4 x 3/4" square tube and connect that tube with a removable pin, like on a swaybar disconnect. You remove the mirrors when you get where you are going, put them on when you hit the road again an sitting at home on your bench are the good stock mirrors for annual inspection if needed.

yeah I would ebay for some later model XJ mirrors. I have a 99 and mine fold completely in and out like another person said. I only thought they folded in and slid backwards against a small tree last weekend and it folded towards the front and didn't break. You may be able to find some on ebay for cheap.

The 97+ mirrors are great. I have clipped them on a tree or two, and they luckily have sprung out of the way and not broken. I will be finding a set of those for the 87 when she is driveable.

I have also seen people do this with TJ mirriors:
SuperSquare_02.jpg

Picture is from AJ's offroad. Semms to work well from the couple that I have known to use them and you can get them in real tight. Looks kind of cool too.

-b

Absolute cheapest route is to bring along a torx wrench and simply remove the mirrors before they find the trees.
Jeep on!
--Pete

GirlScout1 said:
I have also seen people do this with TJ mirriors:
SuperSquare_02.jpg

Picture is from AJ's offroad. Semms to work well from the couple that I have known to use them and you can get them in real tight. Looks kind of cool too.

-b

i use one bolted to my fenders since my doors are gone. takes a few seconds to completely remove the mirror, leaving the mount

Back