• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine mud off!!!

trashedxj

NAXJA Member # 1386
ok i hope i have the right forum.
tiered of that ugly baked on mud all over your engine and engine bay, my newest best friend is easy off oven cleaner!!! yup it works great, i got this tip from a friend who details cars. goto the carwash leave it runnin, pop the hood, got nuts(i used like 3 cans), watch out around the fan(eyes hurt really bad((i know im a dumb @$$), wait like 10-15 pressure wash the crap out of it and BLADOUW no more mud, this will not make it shiney but it gets the mud off and i sprayed it on the underside of my hood and it worked fine on the paint and did not harm it at all. your aluminum(alternator and what not) will be dull but silver(look back to normal). if this has been covered oh well. if not my tip is your tip never be disgruntled bout that easy crap again!
oh and for those with the same question i had, no, it will not harm wiring or anything. some think it will eat the insulation(it aint super remover)
and yes, it will stink like hell for about 30 mins(or that crap might have just blown up my nose but anyway have fun

Interesting, considering one of the really nasty tricks to play on someone is to spray their car with oven cleaner because paint will never stick to the metal after that...I'll stick with my simple green, engine cleaner, fantastic and a stiff parts brush and use cold tap water.

I have never heard that about oven cleaner on paint thing. Sure you arent mistaken for brake fluid squirted out of a water gun? (I know from experience) (@$$holes). But I have found some stuff that my dad gets me from the paper mill he works at that is called something like super industrial or something (I'll check). It smells really good (a lot better than oven cleaner) and it works like magic. It has to be good to get all that lime and sludge they use in the mills to come off. It comes in 1 and 5 gallon containers. I just put it in line with a water hose sprayer (it's concentrated) and wait about 5 or so then hit it with the steam washer.

GoliathJeeper said:
I have never heard that about oven cleaner on paint thing. Sure you arent mistaken for brake fluid squirted out of a water gun? (I know from experience) (@$$holes). But I have found some stuff that my dad gets me from the paper mill he works at that is called something like super industrial or something (I'll check). It smells really good (a lot better than oven cleaner) and it works like magic. It has to be good to get all that lime and sludge they use in the mills to come off. It comes in 1 and 5 gallon containers. I just put it in line with a water hose sprayer (it's concentrated) and wait about 5 or so then hit it with the steam washer.

Possible, but I sprayed my gas grill with it and it took the paint right off over a couple of days in big flakes, tried repainting with rustolem BBQ black and it would never stick after that. Did not know about the brake fluid though, thats good to know...won't be so cavalier with it in the future....

Ok super industrial is just the name brand of this stuff. The can I looked at was worn out but Ill ask my pop 2morrow. (went to sleep) But i know this stuff smells kinda like citrus if that helps.

Back