• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck in 4x4 part time

ybreal210

NAXJA Forum User
hello all, this is my first post here, i have a 90 xj 4.0 with a 242, tonight i had a problem, my 4 part time light showed up, my shifter is in the 2wd position, but when i turn i am clunking as if i am in 4 part time, i can't seem to get it to shift back, and my 4 part light is staying on, even though i shift into 4 full or 2wd, i can't figure it out..... i've tried playing with the shifter while going forward, backward, and sitting still. i didn't want to try driving it anywhere else due to the fact i don't want to break anything. can anyone give me any suggestions? thanks in advance.... i've seen a lot of posts i searched through, but did not see exactly what my problem is....

-Brandon

how exactly do i adjust the transfer case, i am new to owning a jeep.... i actually just got my xj a few weeks ago..... and i'm not to sure at how to do this.....

thanks....
-Brandon

i told you how to adjust it. if you crawl under there i bet you 5 bucks you'll figure it out yourself.

just loosen the nut on the linkage, put the shifter into 2wd, use a pair of pliers to shift the transfer case into 2wd, then tighten the nut back up

i feel resistance, but im not sure completely, i know its still shifting because i can get into 4 lo, and i feel the added torque pull from it being there, but it just wont go back into 2wd...... i think i might have thrown the linkage a little bit.... last week i was out in one of the local pits here in jackson, and i got a lil hung up in 2wd, i pulled the 4wd lever, and it actually popped off completely from the console, i fought with it for about 20 minutes, then finally got it working, shifted fine from there and never really thought about it from there..... until now.... i am going to try to adjust the linkage tomorrow when i go to work, since i work in a shop and have access to tools and a lift..... hopefully i can fix it..... my only concern is the 15 mile drive with it stuck in part time 4, im going to try to lock it to full time 4 so i dont damage anything.....

Back