• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Total wiring harness replacement

gator_grabber

NAXJA Forum User
I have a perfect '90 Comanche (short bed) that's just coming back from paint. Everything (wiring harness, drivetrain, interior, glass, etc.) was removed for the job so it could be done correctly. I have obtained a very low mile drivetrain (4.0, AW4, 242) from a '99 XJ that I will be installing shortly. For that matter, I've got the entire (rolled) vehicle sitting in the garage.

The plan is to take everything off of the '99 and move it over to the Comanche. This brings me to a crossroads...does anyone have a suggestion on how to best deal with the wiring harness? I thought about moving the entire '99 interior over and just swapping all the harnesses with it, but I kind of like the old style dash. I've seen a couple of conversions over the years, but they've never looked as 'clean' as I'd like. Also, I've run Renix for 12 years and would like to move on. I'm even considering building a custom harness, but that may be overkill.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

I would go with the 99 front and dash. The MJ rear could be spliced in under the drivers side trim along the seat - that would be fairly easy.

quick wire, or just buy 90 million feet of the same color wire and go to town

XTrmXJ said:
quick wire, or just buy 90 million feet of the same color wire and go to town
:D

Will make troubleshooting the electrical problems so much easier down the road

esrasmu2001 said:
:D

Will make troubleshooting the electrical problems so much easier down the road

Im telling you, it would be the poop

Make things easier. Make sure the 90 million feet of wire is all white. Then buy a 12 pack of colored sharpies.. Make your own color codes.

esrasmu2001 said:
Make things easier. Make sure the 90 million feet of wire is all white. Then buy a 12 pack of colored sharpies.. Make your own color codes.

Better yet use duct tape and make flags on each and every one of them, that would be the heatness... LOL

Currently in the middle of a similar conversion. Upgrading a 87 MJ with the engine, wiring and dash from a 91 XJ. Had to make custom adapters to attach to the rear / cab wiring. Two adapter are needed, one for fuel tank / rear lights & one for the cab wiring (speaker, dome light, seatbelt switch, etc)Adapter consists of connectors from the chassis side of the XJ sliced to dash slide connectors of the MJ. Had to make use of a trailer lighting adaptor to get from seperate stop/turn to combined, but not an issue, simply inserted it in the "adaptor". Just took an hour or so to lable all the wires, then spliced them together. The XJ has many more circuits than the MJ, so some wires go unused. Then the adaptors simply plugs into the factory harnesses on both sides. Didn't even touch the factory harnesses. I'm sure a similar approach would work on the later model dash components, (assuming you can get them physically installed). Only unkown at this point is how to wire the A/C therostat.

Back