• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

condensation/foggy windshield

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The 88 xj I bought my daughter had tape on the heater box seams.

I went out this morning and the windshield had some condensation along the bottom. I found some moisture by running my fingers along the taped seams and came out with 'water' all over my fingers. the 'water' was clear and there is no sweet smell like I would expect with coolant.

My daughter told me she was running the defroster the night before. It had also been raining here yesterday.

I am kind of leaning towards condensation from the defroster (because of the taped up heater box seams)

Guess I will need to swap out the heater box. Anyone tackled this type of project before? any pointers?

thanks

When mine was leaking, I sprayed the entire front of the vehicle going from the bottom to the top, and then back again. I spent a good five minutes dousing the windshield with water. The autobody guy who gave me the tips sugggested to try all angles of spray, too, since rain doesn't fall straight down. Use low water pressure. If you have an adjustable hose nozzle, use the "gentle shower" setting.

I had a leak in the lower passenger-side portion of the seal. The water was coming down off the roof, behind the outer rubber seal, and leaking all down the side of the windshield pillar... this surprised me. If yours is leaking, the water could be coming from anywhere, so you really gotta spray everywhere.

My Windshield was fogging up at the bottom the morning after rain and it was because it was leaking. I didn't have to do the "spray test" because I compleated the "dripping on the knee test" which consists of driving in the rain and water dripping on your knee, haha. Anyways mine had the same thing you were saying with moisture all along the bottom edge. Check to see if its the original window in there, mine wasn't and it was poorly done causing the leak. If yours is original the glue is prob. old and cracked since its an 88, mine is a 96. $211 later for a new windshield and its fine now

i was quoted 50-60 bucks to reseal. the windshield has a few dings in it. So whilst I work the water hose method I trying to decide if I should just go ahead and replace the windshield or just pay for the reseal.

I was told it was almost as much to reseal as it was to replace. I was also told that when removing the piece of glass its prone to break, mine especially because it was a cheap piece of glass. If they just reseal without removing the old glue it will prob just leak again down the road because glue doesn't bond well to glue, so check and see what they are going to do when they reseal it. When mine was replaced they took all the old glue out and did it right so yeah it cost a little, but it was done right and I don't have to worry about it.

FOUND THE LEAK!

It was not the windshield.

It is leaking around the foam insulation either the evaporator tubes or the heater core tubes.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to seal that area?

I am thinking about using expanding foam......what do you think?

Back