• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter problem

Heepofajeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I recently bought a cherokee that had been sitting for a few years.

I went to start it and nothing. Checked Starter connection, and one of the wires seems to be disconnected, so I bridge the solenoid with a remote switch-- the starter now spins, but does not engage the flexplate.

So I have two questions: 1, what wires go to the starter? I have the large positve going from the battery to the solenoid, but the second large bolt on the solenoid is empty (and I can't find any other loose wires...).

2) Is it possible that because the bendix is not engaging I am missing a neccessary connection, or is it most likely a cause of freezing up from sitting?
If this is the case, is there any way that I can free up the bendix without having to buy a new starter???

Thanks!

You didn't say which year. Be careful about jumping the studs, it messes up the threads. It's much easier to work on the starter on the workbench. With the starter removed you can pry the small gear forward and exercise the Bendix mechanism some.
This is for the Renix, but it's pretty much the same for later models also.
mtpgsj.gif

Last edited:
Sorry, I'll have to double check my file type and try to repost a diagram.

Perfect. You hit the nail on the head. I talked to my friend a few minutes ago, and he concurred with what you said regarding the bendix.

The wiring diagram is exactly what I needed -- my cherokee is a 1989.

Back