• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Losing Coolant

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ, 4.0L, Automatic, 231J.

My XJ keeps losing coolant. I fill the reservior bottle- half way up once a week and everytime I check it it is empty.

I don't notice any leaks.

My oil is clear so it isn't leaking into the engine oil.

Any ideas where the coolant is going?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

RINGKONG said:
waterpump weeping?

I'd check the waterpump.
Check your oil for any coolant contamination. When you unscrew the oil cap on the valve cover, check to see if it's milky covered. If not your probably fine.
Also check your radiator hoses, I was loosing coolant awhile back and couldn't figure out from where. It ended up being my upper radiator hose, it was only leaked when the a/c was on.

June

Since you have a 97 XJ I will assume that you also have the aluminum radiator with the plastic side tanks...... The seals are known to leak between the tanks and the radiator core. The tanks are crimped onto the core and either the crimps lose their tension or the seals go bad. Not sure which.
It is hard to see the leaks, but if you inspect with a flash light you may see the water stains. How do I know this ???? It happened to me....

Do a complete visual inspection of all hose connections of course and around the radiator where possible, although it is horribly covered up. Is possible to have a leaking heater core. If not leaking badly sometimes is hard to find that leak but would be from the bottom of the heater box in the front of the pass footwell. Is possible to have a blown head gask to where the coolant is leaking into a cylinder. This will place trace CO in the cooling system which is detectible by a tailpipe sniffer or other in the radiator neck. Small amts of coolant can disappear from oil without your notice possibly also. Put a cooling system pressure tester and pump it up as a quick ck too for external leaks. There are many possibilities where it could be going, so many ways to ck for it.

i had the same problem on a 2.5L ford in a ranger... till one cold morning i rolled up on the highway and realized i still had no heat but the guage was climbing... panic stop!! had a hell of a time finding it but the head gasket had an external leak that only showed once the engine took a load... i had stretched a head bolt and the cylinder pressure was warping the head to let it leak... no leak at idle and actually stood up tio a 14 psi pressure test.... look all around for a green stain trail may not be easy to find but it will leak its mark. try a pressure tester and it should show itself....
good luck..
mike

has anyone tried out the additive that shows up under black light? this seems like an ideal time to use it. i know the dealership carries it, does anyone else?

Check for any whiteish powder or residue inside the tailpipe. That will tell you if there's water in the combustion chamber. (ie, head gasket or cracked head)
Also look for tell-tale water stains, as mentioned...

Ordinarily not needed-

Those trace dyes are normally the best for systems using gasses. Coolant leaks if external will normally leave white or green/white traces behind if do not actually see the liquid. Is true, can be tricky sometimes as to exactly when the loss is occurring though. Sometimes only happens after the vehicle is shut off and sits for a while. Other times as was said, under certain loads. Other times when running and cold till warms up, or when hot and idling only. Have seen them all. If a small leak, that is when is most difficult. But rest assured, what ever it is leaking, it will get worse making itself obvious. Most the time will give you good advance notice with little chance of leaving you stranded...if you stay somewhat aware of the 'little' signs.

I just did a water pump on mine that was disappearing water too. Still driving every where just checking the water almost daily. Took the trip to tellico and back to finish it off. Started squeking, sounded like a bad belt or idler pully. Still cooled ok. Cooling great now.

Back