• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR valve cover bolt TIPS?

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
As anyone who has had to tighten or remove replace that rear bolt on the valve cover, it is a MAJOR PITA.

Anyone have any socket/wrench wobble extension combinations that make it less painful. Gettin the torque wrench in there to tighten to the spec 75 inch pounds, almost impossible. I had to cut the tie wraps to the wire/hose harness that runs above it and pull it out of the way. I'll take some pics when I find a decent method and post so we can put this PITA to bed...

Anyone have suggestions? I have tried shorts and long sockets.

To those that don't know it is a 7/16 head.

Last edited:
Sounds doable. I'll need a reducer for my 3/8 torque then as well.

Forgot about the 1/4" stuff, don't open that drawer much.:laugh3:

i am glad i searched this. anything else i should know beforehand. i haven't changed the gasket on the valve cover before, and I am doing it this afternoon.

thanks in advance.

First thing I do is to change about a third of the valve cover bolts (especially that difficult rearmost one!) for SB Chevvy valve cover studs. Make sure you get the ones for "cast" covers - they're longer.

Then, I think I end up using 7/16" - U-joint - 3" to 6" bar - torque wrench. However, the getting the nut on the stud by hand is FAR easier than trying to start a bolt blind! That, and the studs make it easier to get everything in place before you get started, so you don't have to wrestle with it when you're working on getting bolts started. Studs are your friends...

Same trick for the oil sump - putting in 4-6 studs (for "stamped" valve covers, this time) makes it easier to put everything in place, since you only need to hold the sump up. You can use one hand, an elbow, or a knee - it won't move once you've got it on the studs...

5-90

5-90 said:
First thing I do is to change about a third of the valve cover bolts (especially that difficult rearmost one!) for SB Chevvy valve cover studs. Make sure you get the ones for "cast" covers - they're longer.

Same trick for the oil sump - putting in 4-6 studs (for "stamped" valve covers, this time) makes it easier to put everything in place, since you only need to hold the sump up. You can use one hand, an elbow, or a knee - it won't move once you've got it on the studs...

5-90

These are some great tips!
Thanks

Yah - and how do you think I figured them out! YOU try wrestling with an oil pan for a while!

Seriously, tho, I'm all about making things easier on myself. I'm probably going to put a 5/16" stud at the top of each diff cover, so the cover doesn't drop when I remove all the bolts. It's little stuff like that that factories don't do (because it costs extra) but really helps the hobbyist (like us.)

5-90

Back