• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L HO Header on 4.0

mud1059

NAXJA Forum User
I searched for this topic in a forum and couldnt find an answer, so I'm turning to you guys. Today I was in the junkyard and found a Header sitting in the back seat of a newer Cherokee poss. Grand, I dunno. It had been unbolted from the head but torched right behind the flange. I was curious if this would fit on an 87 4.0. My instincts tell me no, but I can't resist asking since this would be a heck of a deal for my soon to need rebuilding 255k engine. What years/models did the HO run? I appreciate your help guys

Yours should have an EGR tube, since you say it is an '87 4.0 Renix. The '91 and up Chrysler system does't have EGR. Won't worky right.

Anything from 84-86 had a 2.5L I4 or a 2.8L GM V6.

87-90 had the 2.5l or the Renix 4.0L, Frenchy stuff.

91 and up have the Chrysler computer system. 00-01 had Distributerless ignition system.

Do a search on stuff like that, you will come up with ALOT of info. Also try here for some stock specs. Clicky me

Last edited:
mud1059 said:
I searched for this topic in a forum and couldnt find an answer, so I'm turning to you guys. Today I was in the junkyard and found a Header sitting in the back seat of a newer Cherokee poss. Grand, I dunno. It had been unbolted from the head but torched right behind the flange. I was curious if this would fit on an 87 4.0. My instincts tell me no, but I can't resist asking since this would be a heck of a deal for my soon to need rebuilding 255k engine. What years/models did the HO run? I appreciate your help guys
From what I've read you can still do it if you bypass the EGR system, but if you're in a state that does emissions testing I don't think thats possible.

you can bypass the EGR, but I thought that the ports on the Ho head were slightly different than the Renix head. I know the intake is different, not sure about the exhaust.

Some of the Header makers models cover Renix and HO models with the same set of headers, ie Clifford and Pace Setter. You could have a bung or boss welded on, if you live in an emmision state. Still, if it California, then you would need a CARB certification sticker from the manufacture, I think. You should be able to have a muffler shop bend you a down pipe to fit. Probably $50.
Tom

I have always wandered this, as I knew the HO heads intake ports were raised, but the exhaust ports are the same, thus meaning the headers should be universal

Back