• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice replacing D44 pinion seal

jammerjamesharmon

NAXJA Forum User
Can I just mark the position of the pinion nut, remove the nut, replace the seal and then reinstall with the nut in the original position, or should I use a torque spec?

My confusion is the crush washer inbetween the two sets of pinion bearings, does it have to be replaced?

d44's are shims, not crush sleeve

remove yoke, install seal, install yoke, and torque nut until the TURNING force of the pinion nut is 10-15 in/lbs (IIRC thats the spec for a used set up on a 44)

The best way to do it is to measure the rotational torque then retighten to the same rotational torque + 3 in/lbs.

Wonder how bogus it would be to just put the pinion nut back to the same position it was............... I guess it would be a risk...........

Thaks for the input

half right answers. yes the D44 is shimmed as in no crush collar.
gun the pinion nut off, pull the yoke. clean very, very well, install new seal with a little RTV. install yoke. gun pinion nut or new pinion nut back on. you have made no changes to the pinion shims so you just need to worry about getting that pinion nut as tight as you can, like 200+ lbft or torque.

cLAYH said:
Some D44s do have crush sleeves(most Dodge D44s) and anytime I build a D44 I use a crush sleeve when it goes back together.

why would ya want to use a crush sleeve seems to mem that's going backwards.

Minor highjack -- I am replaceing the yoke on an Isuzu 44, which uses a crush sleeve. I understand the how to -- but where are you guys buying torque wrenches with sensitivity to 10 in/lbs -- most sensitive I have found is 25 in/lb at sears...

TIA

bj-666 said:
why would ya want to use a crush sleeve seems to mem that's going backwards.
X2

xj-grin said:
Minor highjack -- I am replaceing the yoke on an Isuzu 44, which uses a crush sleeve. I understand the how to -- but where are you guys buying torque wrenches with sensitivity to 10 in/lbs -- most sensitive I have found is 25 in/lb at sears...

TIA
Napa 0-60 in/lbs

Yes Isuzu D44 and Dodge D44 disco front has a crush collar.
But this is a Jeep forum, lets not to confuse the one asking the question. he is allready baffled as it is.
Yes, NAPA has a 0-60 torque wrench. not click type or dial either. old school bar type which is perfect for reading.

hold up...
I haven't been thinking clearly!
doing a D44 pinion seal? you actually do not need the inch pound torque wrench. the pinion bearing preload has allready been set by the gear installer via the shims. the only way to get ot the shims is by pulling the carrier. your just changing the pinion seal. gun the nut off, pull the Yoke off, pry the seal out, clean and insert new seal, install yoke, install new pinion nut and gun it down as tight as your inpact gun can go. somewhere in the 250ft# range.
there is no advantage to checking the pinion preload unless you plan on tearing the whole diff appart.

Rawbrown said:
hold up...
I haven't been thinking clearly!
doing a D44 pinion seal? you actually do not need the inch pound torque wrench. the pinion bearing preload has allready been set by the gear installer via the shims. the only way to get ot the shims is by pulling the carrier. your just changing the pinion seal. gun the nut off, pull the Yoke off, pry the seal out, clean and insert new seal, install yoke, install new pinion nut and gun it down as tight as your inpact gun can go. somewhere in the 250ft# range.
there is no advantage to checking the pinion preload unless you plan on tearing the whole diff appart.
ummm....no

pulling on the pinion nut pulls the pinion into the correct location, just torquing it back down with out checking the rotational force on the bearings is just plain asking for trouble

i hack everything, the only 2 things i do right are engines and diffs

i beleive factory spec is 180 ft-lbs, then increading by 5 ft-lbs until the turning force equals factory spec

Ok, i am a gear guy. a Few people in this group know this. I have around 200 gearset under my belt. I don't cut corners I just use common sense when I am working on things.
Fact, how tight you make a pinion nut on a D44 that has allready had the pinion bearing preload shims established has no effect on the pinion bearing. the shims are allready there. The shims are what dictates the pinion bearing preload, not the pinion nut. that just holds it all together.
The original question to this post is how to change a pinion seal on a D44 in an XJ. that means that the axle has allready been setup and pinion bearing preload has been established.
If it is using a crush collar then you cannot just zap it off and back on, you should install a new crush collar which is hard to do without pulling the carrier. but thats getting off topic. he is changing a pinion seal in his D44.
tealcherokee said:
ummm....no

pulling on the pinion nut pulls the pinion into the correct location, just torquing it back down with out checking the rotational force on the bearings is just plain asking for trouble

i hack everything, the only 2 things i do right are engines and diffs

i beleive factory spec is 180 ft-lbs, then increading by 5 ft-lbs until the turning force equals factory spec

Rawbrown said:
Ok, i am a gear guy. a Few people in this group know this. I have around 200 gearset under my belt. I don't cut corners I just use common sense when I am working on things.
Fact, how tight you make a pinion nut on a D44 that has allready had the pinion bearing preload shims established has no effect on the pinion bearing. the shims are allready there. The shims are what dictates the pinion bearing preload, not the pinion nut. that just holds it all together.
The original question to this post is how to change a pinion seal on a D44 in an XJ. that means that the axle has allready been setup and pinion bearing preload has been established.
If it is using a crush collar then you cannot just zap it off and back on, you should install a new crush collar which is hard to do without pulling the carrier. but thats getting off topic. he is changing a pinion seal in his D44.

x2...no torque wrench needed except for maby getting the proper torque values on the nut. crush collars are the only setups you need to recheck the pinion rotation preload.

You guys have it right -- but I AM using a crush sleeve (not shims), so I must check the preload with an inch/lb wrench-- thanks for the part no, I'll be picking one up today!!

xj-grin said:
You guys have it right -- but I AM using a crush sleeve...

...because your'e using a zuzu axle. For clarity, this is not needed on an XJ 44. Rawbrown had it right (as he most always does!)

Robert

Rawbrown said:

Ryan although I agree with your aspect of doing it this way..

the manual I have says to check the pinion bearing preload before removing the pinion nut. then remove the nut , then remove yoke , pry out the seal , replace seal, replace yoke and then tighten the pinion nut to specs and check the pinion bearing preload before attaching the driveshaft..

not trying to open a can of worms here ..just regurgitating what I read :)

now for real life experience..
I regeared my D44 ( with help from Ryan ..via pics and phone conversations)
and when I did I ruined the pinion seal and it leaked
when I went to replace it 2 days later
I didi it the way the manual sadi and the pinion preload did not change..
after torqueing it to 180lbs +

Back