• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Axle?

coreys

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to determine if I have a Dana 35 or a Dana 44 axle. I have a 88 XJ Larado 4x4. The rear axle looks like the Dana 44 in this picture -

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

I does not look anythink like the Dana 35 pictured. How can I determine whitch axle I have?

I have only had my XJ for a couple of months, so I am still learning.

Thanks

What year is your XJ? That's a big determiner right there...

Post pics of your axle if the above link wasn't clear enough.

you can also use the serial code on your diff cover to determine what axle you have. Go to spicer's website and they have a list of codes for different axles. Then you will know for sure.

downhillracer said:
you can also use the serial code on your diff cover to determine what axle you have. Go to spicer's website and they have a list of codes for different axles. Then you will know for sure.

Spicer's website?

Yup - Google "Dana Expert" or something like that. I don't recall the link.

However, if you have an oval cover, it's a Dana 35. If the cover is more nearly hexagonal, it's a Dana 44. Also, if it came FACTORY with the Trailer Tow Package, it's probably a Dana 44 (I think either 88 or 89 was the last year they did that...)

HTH

5-90

Dana 35
standard.jpg

Dana 44
standard.jpg

Jeepdiffs.jpg

One thing about the last posted PIC. late model D35's had the rubber fill plug. Early ones...before 1990, like your year was screw plug.

Here is a D35 in my MJ:
Rearlines.jpg

Here is another one from a '90 XJ:
1990XJrearlower.jpg

CW

Now I am confused. From the pictures posted and on Yacca-man's website It looks like I have a mix between a 35 and a 8.25. The cover tag has 35 on it but it has a flat or squared bottom under the cover like on the 8.25 pic. The cover also looks like the 8.25 so I am sure that it is the 8.25 but what does not make sense is the tag with 35 on it and the ABS. If I understand correctly an XJ with ABS did not come with the 8.25 but with a D35.

This is on a 97 XJ with up-country package. I also think it has ABS(at least it has the ABS indicator light on the dash).

Last edited:
ABN146 said:
This is on a 97 XJ with up-country package. I also think it has ABS(at least it has the ABS indicator light on the dash).
If you have ABS, you have the D35.

Post a pic of your diff if you can; that's the easiest way for us to help you out.

You have a Chrystler 8.25, I have the same tag. believe it refers to the 3.55 gearing? Having the ABS inticator does not meen you have ABS, all dash plates are the same. Example, I have the dummy shifter light but have an auto trans. Guess its just a money saver to Chrysler.

Looks like I don't have ABS.
At first the 35 on the tag threw me off.

Yes or No. Is the 8.25 better than the D35?

Last edited:
Back