• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's XJ Lift

coreys

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a lift for my 88 XJ. There are tons of different lifts to chose from. I think I have decided on buying a 3 inch leaf pack lift from Rusty's and run 31x10.50. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone here installed this lift on their XJ?

2) If so, are you happy with it and would you recommend it?

I have seen a couple of post that suggest the 3 inch rear springs will give you more than 3 inches and I would need to add spacers to the front coils to level it out.
I am also leaning toward the 4.5 inch lift and running 32's. I just can't Decide!

go bigger

it's like an addiction to crack, once you start it you only want more

the only factor that stops me from going 32" of lift is cash :laugh3: , i'm sure if i had enough cash i'd try it!

funvtec said:
go bigger

it's like an addiction to crack, once you start it you only want more

the only factor that stops me from going 32" of lift is cash :laugh3: , i'm sure if i had enough cash i'd try it!

LOL :roflmao:

I'm at a rusty's 6.5" and 33"s and I already want bigger. I think of 33's as being the last small step. I'm going to eventually learn about an axle swap on both the front and the rear, then throw the 35's on. All in the future.

However, to answer coreys' question.

1. You'd be pretty hard pressed to not find someone that has installed this kit. I know you'll probably hear it a bunch, but if you do a search you will find plenty of photos and information. Another place to look is on rustysoffroad.com. He has a "Rusty's Rig" section that is also filled with plenty of pictures and information.

2. It kinda depends on what your budget is and what you are looking for. How are you going to use your rig, more dd'ing rather than wheeling or flip flop? More info please :laugh3:

Scott

4.5" full leaf pack kit, 33's and trimming. You may need spacers up front. But go big or go home. I guarantee if you put the 3" on you'll be kicking yourself 6 months down the road.

Other things to consider:
SYE kit and driveshaft
longer break lines
HD Frame drop bracket for the track bar.a

Chris

I have an RE 3.5 and can tell you; Don't waste your bucks on anything less than 5.5. It is not a bad lift; but I am already buying parts to go higher 3 months after installing the 3.5. It would have been cheaper and easier to do it the first time!

yes listen to them, go bigger than 3." Installed a 3" and well it sucks, I am already getting ready to go bigger and I have had the lift for 4 months now.

I've got the 4.5 kit and have been real pleased with the ride and quality of the lift. It flexes great but now i have a rear bumper and tire carrier it sags a little in the back. A front bumper and winch will be comming soon so spacers and some shackles are next. I think 5-6 is my optimum lift height. I would trim to fit 35s. I personally don't like running higher than i have to. But it does flex great.

I do agree. I do not want to have 6+" of lift just because it would be a waste to have it, I would not use it to its fullest. Maybe after college I will do that and make it a more extreme rig, but if you are going to lift it, go with 4.5-6" that is a nice height.

xj² said:
LOL :roflmao:

2. It kinda depends on what your budget is and what you are looking for. How are you going to use your rig, more dd'ing rather than wheeling or flip flop? More info please :laugh3:

Scott

It is a daily driver. It will go offroad, but rarely.

coreys said:
I am looking to buy a lift for my 88 XJ. There are tons of different lifts to chose from. I think I have decided on buying a 3 inch leaf pack lift from Rusty's and run 31x10.50. So I have a couple of questions:
Decide!

Go bigger. Go better. Rubicon Express, 4.5 or 5.5. If you DO go rusty's, dont run his trackbar. It seems to have a track record of breaking. The local chapter has had a couple incidents with them breaking and totalling jeeps, nearly killing people.

-C

Whatever happaned to talking people into going with smaller lifts to get used to everything?

In my opinion, go with the 3" lift. I have no opinion on Rusty's, have never used there stuff, but some people like them and some don't.

Go with a 3" lift and get used to driving it off road, and on road. Figure out what lines you can and can't take and what kind of stuff your Jeep can handle. Use driver skill and not just the shear size of your truck.

extankerguy said:
Get the 4.5, trim your fenders, throw on some 33s, and go wheelin'!

i got that setup....it's a charm...enough room for articulation with my RK long arm setup....rusty's isn't the best...RE suspension will probably the best no matter how you look at it...but rusty's will satisfy you for the price!

Rusty's kit is fantastic as a starter setup. I ran exactly that kit for nearly a year and loved it.

The rear ended up giving me about 4.5" after it settled, and the front stayed right at 3". After a year, when it was time for some new tires, I threw a coil spacer up front to level it out, put in some longer LCAs and the Rusty's HD trackbar, and it ran 33's with no problems:

nf6.jpg

That setup plus front and rear lockers is a TON of fun, and very capable.

I have the Rusty's 3" full spring kit and I love it. Be sure to get the opptional 180 lb. spring rate springs. If you carry a lot of junk like I do you'll be glad you did.

I would go with the 4.5... With that lift you are right on the edge of big, but not too big and you may be able to get by without a SYE and CV... just depends... I have a 4.5 on my XJ and have neither and have very little vibrations, but all XJs are different. Start with that, learn to wheel, save your cash, and then UPGRADE. I have been wheeling a long time and saved my cash about a million times, but something always comes up.

i got the rustys bb and am running 31s. i rub when im disconnected. im gonna get the 3 inch kit now. not to hijack the thread, but when i install should i leave the spacers up front? maybe cut them down a little first? cool. and btw mines about 50/50 dd/offroad and im glad i only got 31s as they suck enough gas. then again i have 3.07s.

Put your lift on first and let it down and settle for a month or two and then evaluate whether you need the spacers or not. Chance are that if you don't have a heavy bumper and winch, your rear will settle more than the front and you'll take the spacers out.

Back