• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good header write-up

That is a good write-up. Now I'll know where to point people who mistakenly think that back pressure is what creates torque!

I cover all this in my write up on Exhaust for Torque. Got some good examples there but nothing comes close to following all the rules in header design. We have it way easier than a V8 though and could pair the cylinders correctly. If mine ever needs replacing I will do just that building my own. My write up also shows just how wrong 'shorty' headers are like those even by Borla and Banks are! That comment will hurt a few peoples choices that they will feel they have to defend!
Remember with exhaust, the further you are from the head, the less influence, good or bad, it has on performance.

Gojeep said:
I cover all this in my write up on Exhaust for Torque. Got some good examples there but nothing comes close to following all the rules in header design. We have it way easier than a V8 though and could pair the cylinders correctly. If mine ever needs replacing I will do just that building my own. My write up also shows just how wrong 'shorty' headers are like those even by Borla and Banks are! That comment will hurt a few peoples choices that they will feel they have to defend!
Remember with exhaust, the further you are from the head, the less influence, good or bad, it has on performance.

Yeah I read your page (most of them in fact, good stuff!) but I was still a little unsteady on the scavenging idea so I looked a little more. Your page mentions Hedmans headers which actually look the best in terms of primary length, but I could only find them for the 4.2 liter engine, know anything about their avalability for the 4.0? If they are a decent header it might be worth buying one and hacking it up to make it fit the 4.0, should be easier than starting from scratch anyway.

You're right on the Borla and Banks, I just don't see any appeal in that design as it is only a margininal improvement over stock. The cost for what you get doesn't seem worth it.

Right now the Clifford header looks like the best bet from a low-RPM torque standpoint.

SCW said:
Yeah I read your page (most of them in fact, good stuff!) but I was still a little unsteady on the scavenging idea so I looked a little more. Your page mentions Hedmans headers which actually look the best in terms of primary length, but I could only find them for the 4.2 liter engine, know anything about their avalability for the 4.0? If they are a decent header it might be worth buying one and hacking it up to make it fit the 4.0, should be easier than starting from scratch anyway.

You're right on the Borla and Banks, I just don't see any appeal in that design as it is only a margininal improvement over stock. The cost for what you get doesn't seem worth it.

Right now the Clifford header looks like the best bet from a low-RPM torque standpoint.
So funny they had the design nearly right and then didn't progess to perfecting it for the 4.0?

Hedman%20Headers.jpg

Headman headers above. Good length and some of the right cylinder pairing for the 4.2. ( more than any others out there. )

Seen the one they make for the XJ's and looked more like a Borla from memory? I try and find a picture again later.

Back