• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights

ogg

NAXJA Forum User
hey all
i have a 89 xj no options
i cant get my headlights to shut off unless i unhook the battery
anyone ever run into this sort of thing
ant help would be greatlly appericeated
ogg

could be bad headlight switch, bad relay or timer (one in my '93 I'm selling does that. If I shut the car off then turn off the lights, they stay on for almost 5 minutes)

My 92 does that once in a while, if you shut the motor off and turn the lite switch off, then turn the key back on the lites shut off.

Sounds like the headlight delay isn't working properly. There's a module under the dash that controls the headlight delay. if it's gone bad then it might leave the lights on.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73544&highlight=headlight+delay
best thread I could find that had a picture.
Search "headlight delay" and see what else you can get. It should have a Pot on it that can adjust the timer, or it may just be bad.

MG_43 said:
My 92 does that once in a while, if you shut the motor off and turn the lite switch off, then turn the key back on the lites shut off.
Thats the way they should work, they will turn off in 3 mins after you close a the last door.

With a 1989 Canadian XJ, you should have a Daytime Running Lights module (unless its already been removed). When these fail, the headlights stay on. Should be just the DRL on, meaning high beams, not all the parking lights, when the problem is a DRL module. It is a black box on the passenger-side fender under the hood. If all the lights are on, then one of the causes posted above.

Back