• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is first?

partsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 1989 two door Cherokee Laredo. It followed me home. This is a 4.0, BA10, 231, Dana 35 with 3.07's, outside mounted spare.

My ideas:
Rubicon Express XJLA
4.88's
Detroit True-Trac F & R
35X10.50R15 Super Swampers
Go wheeling.

Ok, seriously speaking now, don't forget you are in the Peugeot club now. Be careful with that transmission. You can wheel, but do it with the tranny in mind.

ajpulley said:
Ok, seriously speaking now, don't forget you are in the Peugeot club now. Be careful with that transmission. You can wheel, but do it with the tranny in mind.
Not necessarily - in mid-89 the XJ picked up the AX-15 in place of the Pukegoat tranny. Quick check: if the tranny splits longitudinally into left and right halves, it's the Peugeot BA-10/5.

Look for leaks from the clutch pushrod; they like to drip down onto the back of the fusepanel until you start shorting out and having all manner of electrical issues.

What's first? Get it running and ready to wheel. Then wheel it...and figure out what you need from there. Enjoy.

I saw that. I've also seen plenty of folks assume they have one or the other item on their vehicle, especially when there are mid-year transitions such as in this case.

partsxj said:
I just got a 1989 two door Cherokee Laredo. It followed me home. This is a 4.0, BA10, 231, Dana 35 with 3.07's, outside mounted spare.

My ideas:
Swap in AW4 Auto
Swap in D44
Go wheeling.
My ideas

Greg

Greg, if you were going to swap in an aw4 you would want to swap gears. An auto with 3.07's would really suck. JIM.

I am thinking armor.

1. Factory front and gas tank skid plate
2. SkidRow engine skid plate.
3. DPG Off-Road skid plate.
4. Nth degree axle slider.
5. Crane diff covers.
6. Did I miss something?

Rock Slider to protect your side!

partsxj said:
I am thinking armor.

1. Factory front and gas tank skid plate
2. SkidRow engine skid plate.
3. DPG Off-Road skid plate.
4. Nth degree axle slider.
5. Crane diff covers.
6. Did I miss something?

ajpulley said:

my 86 2.8 has a peugot. i beat the living piss out of it almost every day.im talking powerbraking at every stop light, dropping to first from 3 or 4 to slide the rear around corners, pretty much i beat it as hard as i could. no problems with the tranny to date.

Just happened across this thread.
A little update. I still have this Jeep.
It still needs a lot of work.
For starters,
exhaust, including Cadillac convertible,
top bolts for shocks broken off,
all 4,
no rear brake cables.
Wait a minute, that isn't too much work.
I'll have to get back to this one.

Back