• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 rear, other ford exploder parts for an xj?

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy's 92 ford exploder is headin to the junkyard..what else besides the cv driveshaft and 8.8 rear can i possibly use on my 95 xj?..i was thinking about swapping an 8.8 on anyway so i sorta lucked out even though its drum braked..

If your XJ has a 8.25 rear the swap is not worth the effort.
You are gonna gain a beefy and durable case but not most of what people swap in the late model 8.8's for. 31 SPL axles and disc brakes.

If you have the dreeded D35..its may be a diffferent story.

IMHO...

CW

i did a little searching and from what i saw the 1990.5+ shafts on mazda navajo and ford explorer 8.8 rears were still 31 spline..im no expert, but thats what i got from briefly searching....and theres alot of aftermarket stuff out there for the 8.8..more than my chrysler 8.25..i figure i wont have to mess around with new e-brake lines either cause theyre still drums..yay or nay?

What CV drive shaft. the front is the same as a XJ front shaft meaning 2" shaft with 1310s. I got one off a 91 the other day, but it was about an inch shorter than the XJ one off an auto. That might work for you but you need to measure.

cwlongshot said:
If your XJ has a 8.25 rear the swap is not worth the effort.
You are gonna gain a beefy and durable case but not most of what people swap in the late model 8.8's for. 31 SPL axles and disc brakes.

If you have the dreeded D35..its may be a diffferent story.

IMHO...

CW

All Ford Explorer 8.8's are 31 spline.

looking in the junkyard tomorrow for one shouldn't be too hard..there's an explorer everywhere ya turn, but should i really stay away from drums and just shoot for the discs?..my concern is getting an e-brake line to those discs without spending mucho dinero..im shooting for the cheapest swap i can get cause i are in kollege..(poor)..so ill probably go for a 3.55 geared puppy..down the line ill hafta regear anyway, but now im on 31s with an aw4 tranny so its not terrible

so far as drive shafts, are you all looking at rear d-shafts from the EX, or front d-shafts off the EX?

and is this for a front shaft on an XJ, or for the rear shaft on the XJ?

I R cornfused.......... :p

L.R.

When I went through yard, Bronco 2s had rear CV shafts, but they use 1210 joints, no good. Late 70's Broncos and Blazers came with 2.5" CV shafts with 1310 joint. Actually saw one yesterday. Looked a little short and had a ton of play in the splines. It was 25 years old. Explorers have front 2" CV shafts with 1310 joints. The one I got measured 29.5-30" fully collapsed. About an inch shorter than the front shaft from a XJ with auto sitting right next to it. I myself am looking for shafts to run in the rear, to go on my auto 242 D44.That's all I know.

dirtdogger17 said:
looking in the junkyard tomorrow for one shouldn't be too hard..there's an explorer everywhere ya turn, but should i really stay away from drums and just shoot for the discs?..my concern is getting an e-brake line to those discs without spending mucho dinero..im shooting for the cheapest swap i can get cause i are in kollege..(poor)..so ill probably go for a 3.55 geared puppy..down the line ill hafta regear anyway, but now im on 31s with an aw4 tranny so its not terrible

go disk they are better for a few reason. they hold the alxe in if ya brake so ya can get to flat ground for an easier change. they are self adjusting. they do not need to be cleaned every trip thru mud.
as for the e-brake if $2 in cable clams is too much than you shouldnt' be driving a vehicle there are a few write ups on how to modify your e-brake cables but basicly you wrap your cable around the actuatior on the 8.8 and cable clamp it back to itself creating a U.

Back