• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering won't automatically re-center

troy

NAXJA Forum User
Steering Stabilizer is leaking and could be bad, but would that make it not go back to center? Is there a centering ball on the steering shaft or something?

Thanks.

troy said:
Steering Stabilizer is leaking and could be bad, but would that make it not go back to center? Is there a centering ball on the steering shaft or something?

Thanks.

What's your caster?

"Caster affects straightline stability and steering wheel return. High positivecaster makes the front wheelswant to go straight ahead. A normal amount of positive caster provides stability and makes the steering wheel straighten out after turning."

I quote;

"Positive camber, like positive caster, affects straight-ahead stability and steering wheel return. As the vehicle turns, the outside suspension tends to rise on the wheel because of positive camber. When the wheel returns to straight ahead, the vehicle's weight presses down on the steering axis and helps straighten the wheel."

Wanna call us both right?

rstarch345 said:
I quote;

"Positive camber, like positive caster, affects straight-ahead stability and steering wheel return. As the vehicle turns, the outside suspension tends to rise on the wheel because of positive camber. When the wheel returns to straight ahead, the vehicle's weight presses down on the steering axis and helps straighten the wheel."

Wanna call us both right?
Caster is adjustable on a XJ camber is not.

rstarch345 said:
... As the vehicle turns, the outside suspension tends to rise on the wheel because of positive camber...
this statement is incorrect. The author is more than likely thinking of the effects of castor and steering axis inclination (SAI), not camber.

So after hitting another deer, not running over and no real damage to the vehicle,bent bumper(drivers side) in a little, almost not noticeable, what do you think it is that is making my wheel not center, think it could have thrown the caster off somehow.

Back