• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick ? about Tranny lines

DSN46

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found enough info that I'm gonna replace the supply line to the cooler/radiator myself. However, one question I had that I could find an answer to:

Do I need to drain the tranny fluid from the tranny pan prior to taking off the old line? Or, does the fluid sit low enough in the pan that all I have to worry about is what is in the line itself?

Thanks for any answers or advice.

James

DSN46 said:
I searched and found enough info that I'm gonna replace the supply line to the cooler/radiator myself. However, one question I had that I could find an answer to:

Do I need to drain the tranny fluid from the tranny pan prior to taking off the old line? Or, does the fluid sit low enough in the pan that all I have to worry about is what is in the line itself?

Thanks for any answers or advice.

James
To replace the line to the pan you need to drain it first.

Not strictly necessary - but be ready for the line to drain.

Both lines enter the pan above the line of the fluid at rest, so you won't lose much - just what's in the line and some of what's in the cooler. Work fast. You can mitigate this somewhat by using your finger to plug "uphill" connections as you pull the lines, and be sure to lay the line in a drain pan when you take it all the way out (there will be several ounces of fluid in it.)

Yes, I've done this before.

5-90

I have a slight drip in my mine. I have the new line but I have not decided if I am going to replace it myself or not. It looks like it take a special tool to remove the old line, and I do not have that tool.

coreys said:
I have a slight drip in my mine. I have the new line but I have not decided if I am going to replace it myself or not. It looks like it take a special tool to remove the old line, and I do not have that tool.

I am assuming that you are talking about the quick connect fitting.?
If so, any chain auto parts store (and Sears) have the tool.
They look like this

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00947067000

or like this
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00946337000

HTH

Thats the one. I have the larger of the 2 diconnect tools but it is too large. I need to find a smaller one. I bought it for my Ford F-150 fuel filter. I could never get it to work right so I took it to someone to have the fuel filter replaced. I have never been able to remove one of those lines.

I always give the fittings a small spray of Kroil before I seperate them.
Come right apart without any issues.

If you can see Nylon "ears" on the fitting, you already have the tool. You simply squeeze the ears toward the pipe, and pull. If you can't get the job done with your fingers, use a small pair of pliers.

Catch - give it a quick shot of carburettor cleaner before you squeeze - sometimes, the fittings get crapped up inside and the ears don't go anywhere...

5-90

Back