• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes 2000-'89

d0nnyg77

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have a 2000 XJ LP 30. Just got an HP30. Brakes are different. Question is, "can I swap the caliper brackets from the 2000 axle to the '89 axle?" Or can I swap the knuckles from the 2000 to the '89. I would like to avoid buying new rotors calipers and pads. The 2000's are pretty new. Trying to keep the cost down because I still need to get a locker for it too. Thanks fellas!!!

Donny

You have two different generations of brakes there- mix and match can cause trouble due to different offsets. Since the 89 and 2000 use the same ball joints, you could swap everything outside (knuckles and all). (Yes, the 89 may have the adjustable depth collars where the ball joints mount- not sure- but the ball joint itself is the same). Going from memory (lousy) I seem to recall the rule being to keep hub and rotor from the same year group.

I take it you have some lift: at stock height, the HP axle contacts the weird exhaust system used on your 2000 and my 2001.

I think the best choice would be for you to find some 92+ (or is it 91+?) knuckles and use that. That gives you better calipers then the 89 ones and it gets rid of the funky expensive rotor that you have on the '00.

I'll try to find some calipers from mid 90's. And yes I do have lift. 4.5" Rusty's. Clearing 31's. Thanks for the help. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have the calipers I need? Would I need to get new bearings/hubs as well?

Donny

d0nnyg77 said:
I'll try to find some calipers from mid 90's. And yes I do have lift. 4.5" Rusty's. Clearing 31's. Thanks for the help. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have the calipers I need? Would I need to get new bearings/hubs as well?

Donny
my bad I wasn't specific enough:
get mid to late 90's knuckles which means get matching unibearings and the appropriate calipers.

rstarch345 said:
Why not just take the complete knuckle assembly from the LPD30 and put on the HPD30 including shafts. Worked great for me.
Don't you have to use those rotors which are supposed to be prone to warping?

Back