• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch pops open while locked

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
This morning the hatch/tailgate on the XJ popped open, I hit a bump and heard some road noise and thought it was my ears popping, then I stop and the hatch opens up, last time I had it open was last week and I know it was locked because yesterday I checked it...

I talked to an XJ buddy of mine and he said it happens from time to time so what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Zorro, try adjusting the striker post outward slightly. It sounds like the lock isn't fully engaging. Do you have to slam it hard to get it to close? There are nuts underneath the bumper you'll need to loosen to move the post.

Zoro said:
YES, I will try this next time I get under there.

First check your liftgate/hatch trim piece. Mine was loose and a foam piece (from around the speaker) had slid down and prevented the trim piece from attaching to the liftgate/hatch properly.

The trim piece was sticking out about 3/4" and required the hatch to be slammed shut. Once I figured out the trim piece was not hanging right and fixed it the gate closes no problem now.

I had the same problem with my jeep, upon closer inspection, the hinges had started sagging on one side and that's why it was not hitting the striker properly. I would have bought new hinges for it, but I sold it a week later to get a better jeep.

Back