• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bfg at's junk or worth it?

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
I need new tires and I have made a few posts about tires and opinions and what I should get. I know what tires I am going to get now unless this thread changes my mind. I drive alot on hwy every week and wheel on weekends but just locally nothing super hard core unless its an ocassional and rare trip.(due to living in NH) I have the option of saving up some cash and getting brand new 33's when i get money agian.

or

I can get a set of almost brand new BFG All terrain t/a ko's for $250 form a friend plus installation.

but

I had a set of bfg 31's and did not like them b/c the y sis not perform that well though the tread was kinda low it was still decent, and 2 were the old school kind.

B/C I dont know how to post a poll i will ask here,

1. Who likes them and why and who does not like them and why?

2. Should I get the slightly used bfg's or go with my other choice that are brand new?

I run bfg at's on my pickup and will run them on any other vehicle that is primary street use but see's some offroad time. I'm happy with how they perform off road, and they do well on road. .. not the best in the mud and wet .. but that's why they made mt's.

Given a choice, I'll put BFG AT/KO's on all my rigs that commute - good road manners, good road longevity, good wet performance, and good off-road performance (in mud, sand, gravel, and snow. No-thing hardcore.)

For the money, I find them to be a very good tyre, and also an example of "you get what you pay for." Definitely worth it to me. Come to think of it, I've got to get a set of 30's sometime soon...

5-90

35,000 miles on my 33 AT/KO's and i'm at about half tread. yah, they're damn good tires.

cal said:
I run bfg at's on my pickup and will run them on any other vehicle that is primary street use but see's some offroad time. I'm happy with how they perform off road, and they do well on road. .. not the best in the mud and wet .. but that's why they made mt's.

I have them on both my tow rig and work truck. I've been very happy with them for the type of driving I do, but I wouldn't use them ever on the Jeep.

Ive got BFG AT's on both my rigs - i like them and they were cheap...

"Run what you bring"

I put new BFG's (35's) AT's on my MJ last March. I had cheapy General Grabber MT's before that. I drove from Cali to New Mexico, wheeled here a little, drove to Cali, wheeled Claw Hammer at Johnson Valley and drove back here. Overall they are very good and quiet compared to the MT's on the highway/pavement and during my offroad experiences they haven't let me down.

Some things to consider - the tread likes to pick up 1/2" gravel so if you live on a gravel road or have a gravel driveway the rocks get stuck in the tires until you get up to speed and they go flying out!

I just started driving in the snow here and they are doing ok but not as good as I had hoped, one reason is that the snow gets packed in the tread.

Another vote for BFG's. I've had the 31" AT/KO's on mine for about a year now and I love them. We get a little bit more snow here than in St. Louis and my rig is a tank going down the Passes during a storm. My g/f has a 2001 that needed some tires. After the first storm we had (we're only talking 4-5") hers drove horribly. I put on a BB and then we got 30" AT's for it and it's a completely different vehicle. I would definitely buy them again.

Thanks for the replies. If they are liked that much I guess I cannot go worng gettign 4 almost new ones for $250.

I have never used them but always heard good things about thier performance. The only reason I don't use them is because so many other people do, kind of boring you know. If you don't mind having the same tire as 90% of the trucks and suv's out there then I'd say go for it.

Gotta love tax free NH. At least you guys have better wheeling and more rocks out west than all teh gunky mud out here.

-kyle

I say take the used ones for cheap! They are pretty expensive tires. Pretty good, I've had both the old and now I have the new, and they work great. I haven't noticed any difference between the old style and new style though, other than looks.

If you wheel in lots of mud, check out the truxus MT. Elias 4x4 in townsend, MA has them, which isnt' far from you. Last time I checked they were like 115 mounted and balanced for 31x10.5r15.

BFG is an excelent tire, however, the AT's are NOT designed for any sort of mud or sticky terrain. Like stated above, they designed the mud terrains for that, so don't be surpirsed when you take your at's offroading in the mud or anything sticky that they don't clear very well. You need some serious "R's" to get the AT's to clear, but the muds do very well in that respect. both are great tires, just a little warning however.

As others have stated, they flat out SUCK in muddy conditions...they leave a good bit to be desired in deep snow too. Other than that, they are great tires. Excellent on-road manners, yet still perform great off-road when properly aired down. For a rig that sees more street than trail time, they are the only tire i would ever consider.

With proper rotations, I've used muds for up to 50,000 miles estimated befoer they were too worn to use. excellent tire in my opinion. wouldn't buy another.

53guy said:
With proper rotations, I've used muds for up to 50,000 miles estimated befoer they were too worn to use. excellent tire in my opinion. wouldn't buy another.

X2

Rotate them every oil change and without heavy off-road abuse, they'll last you a very long time.

I'm on my 3rd set of BFG MTs on my pickup, they make it about 42000 miles for me. I sold a set of the ATs with 35000 on them and they barely looked worn at all. I bet they would have gone 70000 or more. I have another (bigger) set of the ATs on my Cherokee now. They may not be the best mud tire, or the best street tire, or the best snow tire, but they may be the best compromise for a single tire to do everything.

Back