• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help to rid of "disgusting Grating Noise"

gman

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 cherokee, I learn't has a 1984 rear end, during this weekend I had the Rear wheel bearings replaced but still hearing that grating noise, on the third try, I realized that the rear-end is from a 1984. Despite being diagnosed as worn rear wheel-bearings by 2 mechanics, I am still having this disgusting grating noise, apparently from the rear somewhere. I would like to know, what could be the possible culprits That I may check to solve this problem.

:confused: Gman

It could be the pinion bearing, or it could be carrier bearings (inside the rear differential, not the same as the axle bearings on the outer ends of the axle tubes.

Out of curiosity, how did you (or your shop) determine that the axle is out of an '84? As faar as I know, the '84 and the '89 used the same axles, so I don't know how anyone would make that determination.

eric91xj said:
could it be a model 20??

Did they use the Model 20 in the XJ? I've seen one in an '86 MJ, but not in an XJ. There's no mistaking it, though. The diff cover is perfectly round, and the thing is HUGE.

Wow!

That little carburetted 4-banger doesn't make enough power to haul that much axle around the block! :D

Rear-end 1989 or 1984

I purchased bearings 2 times for an 89 6 Cylinder Cherokee, was told their are 2 possible bearings for this year BER #9 and #10. However, I was told by the machine shop that both are wrong. Eventually, the mechanic took a metal shield from the differential with numbers presented this and made the purchase. At this time he was told that it was an 84 rear-end. Could post the number from the shield tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back