• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub conversion and Axle Q's

Rufio

NAXJA Forum User
Alright i have been searching and searching and searching and i have not found the answers to my questions. so here we go

i have a 88 waggy with a automatic tranny and i am wondering

A. How would i go about changing my hubs to manual locking hubs, when i did a search this is the closest thing i could find and it's not very good ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69605&highlight=hub+conversion )
B. how much would switching hubs cost?
C. does anyone have a step by step to install a automatic locker (preferably powertrax no slip) in a dana 35c?
D. is it true that the long debated "locker makes your axle stonger" true?
E. if i were to take a Dana 44 out of a xj with a towing package would i have to do and fab work to get it to fit on my xj?

Last edited:
Rufio said:
C. does anyone have a step by step to install a automatic locker (preferably powertrax no slip) in a dana 35c?

i wouldnt waste a single cent on the turdy5, save up and get a D44, or Ford8.8 or a 29 Spline 8.25
Rufio said:
E. if i were to take a Dana 44 out of a xj with a towing package would i have to do and fab work to get it to fit on my xj?
yes it will bolt right in with no mods.

pull the ds from the rig yoru getting the 44 from lengths can vary. warn makes a hub conversion kit as well as mile marker (i belive). both convert to 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

lockers will eliminate some weak points in a axle but will also create MUCH more stress. there is no substitute for a strong axle. start with a strong axle and build it stronger don't try to make a weak axle somethign it's not

there are a bunch of write ups on installing luchbox style lockers if ya can do one ya can do any. the directions that come with the lockers are usually fairly complete.

Rufio said:
Alright i have been searching and searching and searching and i have not found the answers to my questions. so here we go

i have a 88 waggy with a automatic tranny and i am wondering

A. How would i go about changing my hubs to manual locking hubs, when i did a search this is the closest thing i could find and it's not very good ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69605&highlight=hub+conversion )
B. how much would switching hubs cost?
D. is it true that the long debated "locker makes your axle stonger" true?
A. Check here for info on locking hubs
http://stu-offroad.com/axle/hubconv/hub-1.htm

B. If you buy retail, it's around $700-1000 and while you're at it, you might as well include alloy inners for a few more Bens.

C. If you wheel very hard at all, it's not a good idea to lock the d35, you will very likely snap the stock shafts. If you insist, step 1 is verify that you have an open carrier and not a OEM trash-loc limited slip.

D. this has been long debated??? :wierd:

E. ez bolt in

Back