• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

closed system hose clamps?

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
the factory heater hose assembly on the closed system is crimped together.

QUESTION: can these hoses be spliced/repaired or created new using hose clamps? Is this an acceptable method?

Thanks

Yes. Cut off the old clamps and do the repairs you need. Replace them with standard worm-drive clamps.

Edit: I should say that if the hoses need to be spliced and at this time still have the original clamps it is probably time to replace them. You can use bulk heater hose, but the molded hoses will be easier to install and look neater. You can get them at NAPA or dealer; maybe Autozone or their ilk.

Spudboy

Last edited:
Where can I get new Tee's?

Autozone had some plastic tee's but did not have anything metal or brass.

I was thinking I should replace the Tee's because I was guessing there was not a 'lip' on the existing Tee's. I thought that not having a 'lip' to help seal might cause some leakage issues.

A good quality plastic tee made for plumbing might work for you. Check your local home store and see what they have. IIRC, most of the tees at Autozone are for vacuum lines and definitely won't be up to the task. For metal tees, head to a real plumbing supply store. They will have them or be able to tell you where to get them.

Spudboy

I've done the job on a few RENIX XJ's, and the T fittings do have slight barbs on them. It doesn't look like much - but it's enough to retain the hoses and keep them from leaking.

It's easiest to cut the crimp sleeves with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel - second easiest is to remove the whole assembly and use a hacksaw.

For a more "permanent" solution, you may want to check my website (www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power - hotlink in sig) to see what I've done. I got tired of getting those moulded rubber hoses, and wanted to find a more "permanent" solution. I haven't finished it yet, but the solution seems to have been working for the last six months...

5-90

Back