• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS testing.

Rasputin

NAXJA Forum User
Need clarification. Which terminals on the CPS connector do you check wth ohm meter, A+B or C+B? Should there be any resistance?

Rasputin said:
Need clarifation. Which terminals on the CPS connector do you check wth ohm meter, A+B or C+B? Should there be any resistance?

We need clarification also. Yr of xj and engine size? Cps = crank position sensor or cam position sensor? Greg

It's a '91 w/4.0. It's the CPS I need to check. I already replaced the cam pos sensor in the distributor after getting code 54. I'm getting fuel and spark, but still a no-start situation. Just cranks.

Rasputin said:
It's a '91 w/4.0. It's the CPS I need to check. I already replaced the cam pos sensor in the distributor after getting code 54. I'm getting fuel and spark, but still a no-start situation. Just cranks.

Sorry I have no experience w. the post renix chrysler sys you have. However, I understand that your cps recieves an approx 5 volt incoming pwr signal from the ecu unlike the pre 91s. So I would see if you are getting a 5 volt into and out of that connector during cranking. You can do it w. the connector discod to avoid a start re you incoming signal. You can also simply test your connector for resistance by checking for resistance across the connector by connecting into the wires that connect on each side of the connector. Sorry can't help beyond that. In my limited experience bad/dirty connectors are often a cause of problems. Greg

Last edited:
Back