• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage Cluster Swap

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So right now ive got the bottom of the line guage cluster with the big speedo and gas guage and the other small ones. Whats involved to swap the guage cluster that has aother the other guages,(oil pressure, temp ect) I have suearched and couldnt seem to find what im looking for.

They are all correct. They should be plug and play. However, for your guages to work properly, you will need to swap out the oil pressure sending unit and the temp sending unit. If you go to your local parts store and ask for those units, they will find a listing for with guagesand without guages.

It is a fairly simple operation. If you want to keep you actual mileage, you can also unscrew the spedo/odo and swap it into the guage cluster and then you have full guages and accurate miles. That is what I did.

classifieds here and on ebay. $30-$50 depending on source, i think le$$ at a yard.

OK we've got some conflicting info here so:

97 and newer XJ's are completely plug & play, nothing else needed.

96 and older WILL require the new senders for the gauges to work correctly.

Are you talking about idiot lights to gauges or gauges w/o tach to gauges w/ tach? or perhaps even idiot lights to gauges w/tach? at any rate if you already have gauges its plug and play ...If idiot lights, you do need sending units
for them.....

97+'s drop right in with two caveats, the security and washer fluid lights might be reversed and the full time light bulb might need to be moved to the part time socket or a bulb added if you have fulltime.
I'm running a cluster in my 98XJ out of a TJ...

Guage Cluster Swap; info you should be aware of !!!

To clarify the instrument cluster swap from IDIOT lights to GAUGES....
It is a plug and play, BUT......
Since you have a 98 as your user name indicates... DO NOT get a instrument cluster from a 97 TJ or XJ.... I have the wiring schematics for a 97 and 98 XJ and there are differences.... The wiring in the 97 XJ is slightly different.... The ground wiring difference affects the built in timer for the rear window defroster and there is another pin location change that affects the windshield washer low level indicator... The defroster will not work and the low level indicator will stay on....

You can use an instrument cluster from a 98 or 99 TJ or a 98-01 XJ.

Charles

Last edited:
Re: Guage Cluster Swap; info you should be aware of !!!

CharlesS said:
To clarify the instrument cluster swap from IDIOT lights to GAUGES....
It is a plug and play, BUT......
Since you have a 98 as your user name indicates... DO NOT get a instrument cluster from a 97 TJ or XJ.... I have the wiring schematics for a 97 and 98 XJ and there are differences.... The wiring in the 97 XJ is slightly different.... The ground wiring difference affects the built in timer for the rear window defroster and there is another pin location change that affects the windshield washer low level indicator... The defroster will not work and the low level indicator will stay on....

You can use an instrument cluster from a 98 or 99 TJ or a 98-01 XJ.

Charles

In reality the low fluid and security indicators are reversed. When you first plug it in the low fluid comes on and stays on, removed bulb and put it in 'security' socket, now when my fluid gets low the 'security' light comes on.. The gauges are more colorful too, with reds and whites....and my rear window defrosters work the same as they always did, person I bought it from told me he got it from a 97TJ...

Well actually its a 92, my old xj was a 98, does this change anything?

how does the dash come apart on the 97 and newer i looked in haynes and they're saying to pull th steering wheel and the dash somehow rotates down sound f up to me just thought id ask.

Back