• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taking out alternator

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
how do i take the alternator out? i unbolted the two bolts that hold it in and all the other bolts for electrical. i also removed the battery and the plate it sits on for more room but it will not come out. it wiggles around but it wont come out because the alts too big for the space it has to come out of.
I have a L6 4.0 with a/c.

loosen them or take them out? because right now there is about 3 inches of room from frame to that bracket. i would do it right now and find out myself but its too late and i want to be able to come home right after shool tomorrow and take it ot in like 5 mins. thanx a lot

I had The same problem last month on my '91 cherokee 4.0 automatic. I worked for hours trying to get the darn thing out, but no luck. I went inside to warm up a bit by the fireplace and to get a fresh mind to figure out what should have been an easy job.
The alternator on my cherokee was not clearing the aluminum bracket by about 1/4 inch. Aluminum is very easy to file with a course file.I used a large rasp file to remove the necessary material from the bracket to enable me to easily slide the alternator out. WHEW

Just lossen the bracket holding it (three 14mm nuts) and drop it down from the bottom. I do the whole job on my back under the front of the jeep.

You might have to spin it a bit to get it to fit but mine comes out really easy. Course I've removed and replaced 3 in the last year, all in the winter of course.

I know exactly what tools to take with me to change it now. LOL

What year? I'm sure the ChryCo/ND (1991-up) and Delco CS (1987-1990) mount somewhat differently.

If it's the Delco, then yes, pull both through bolts, loosen the three bolts in the front bracket just a bit, and it will drop out (I usually leave the top bolt in place - but loose - and pull it by hand while holding the alternator.)

The sway bar should keep the thing from falling on your face, but it can still knock crud loose - which can get into your eyes. There's a one-in-a-thousand shot that it will fall just right and land on you - but it's highly unlikely.

5-90

yeah the dirt in my eyes thats my favorite, especially when your replacing your crossmember and your friend thinks it would be funny to smack the mud/dirt caoted exhuast with a 1/2" wrench. anyways thanks for the help.

5-90 said:
The sway bar should keep the thing from falling on your face, but it can still knock crud loose - which can get into your eyes.

That's why I wear safety goggles when I'm working under the Jeep. I hate dirt falling into my eyes and the goggles keep it out.
As for removing the alternator, the easiest approach is to pull it out from underneath. The only flies in the ointment are having to remove the front skidplate and the plastic undertray to get to the alternator, but mine have been off for a long time so accessing the alternator is a piece of cake.

a guy came into my work the other day getting an alternator for his 93 and he said he was pissed because he had to take the a/c compressor out to get to it. i was like, "dude, it comes out through the bottom in maybe 5 minutes." he had the most dumbass look on his face.

Back