• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Living with a Detroit

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have just decided to fit a Detroit locker to my new rear D44 that Ryan is building for me instead of the Tru-Trac I had before in my D35 ( still will run one in the front ). Just how different is it compared to that in factors like tyre wear and handling? I am very smooth on the throttle on the street so hope it wont change much. How about when towing on gravel? Dont have to worry about ice here at least. ;) Tyre wear all right so long as you keep pressures the same?
How about noise? I thought they were pretty quiet compared to a E-Z or Lockright or are they not?
Found this:
DETROIT LOCKERS
Locking differentials, in effect, lock the two drive wheels together -- somewhat like "spools" that solidly connect the axles together. When powering straight ahead, engine power is equally delivered to both drive wheels. However, unlike spools that will not differentiate when turning and are therefore not streetable, lockers allow full wheel differentiation when cornering. Unlike the poor traction characteristics of open or limited-slip/posi differentials, when one wheel looses traction, locking differentials deliver engine power, not to the slipping wheel, but to the wheel with the highest amount of traction. Although locking differentials deliver excellent traction output and allow full wheel differentiation when turning, they are notoriously harsh and noisy. Disengagement is abrupt, you can hear a ratcheting noise when cornering depending on the background engine noise, engagement is delayed, and significant backlash (slop) is added to the driveline. http://www.chrismans.com/AskSpankyDiff.html

But it doesn't exactly which one he is talking about though?

I had a Detroit for 11 years in a CJ that I had. It was virtually invisible when driving on the pavement and was awesome off road. You will be very pleased with a real Detroit.

I have a detriot in my 44. I hardly notice it, and it makes no noice. I can only notice it if I am in a very quick S turn and am on the gas. It sometimes chirps when you are turning, but doesnt happen very often. Tire wear, havent noticed, but I dont drive all that far. No idea about the towing. But it will be a lot less noisy then the Tru-trac. Friends of mine have a very similar setup as I do, but with Tru-tracs and aussie lockers, and they chirp around every turn and unload on them. Im glad I went with the Detroit.

what about making a u-turn from a dead stop - impossible to coast, because you arent moving....

any insite there?
</hijack>

I ran a Lock-Right in a 8.25 for over a 100,000 miles,It was always remindind me it was there.Replaced the axle with a D44 and a Detroit.The only time I notice it is when making a tight "S" turn and then it makes a small klunk.I wish I had done it sooner(replace the lock-right).I do notice a small twitch when getting on and off the gas .
I have been running some type of locker or limited slip in most of my vehicles since the 70,s ,most were high powered V8,s.Any of the handling quirks associated with a locker are un-noticed by me now.
Wayne

Starboard M said:
I have a detriot in my 44. I hardly notice it, and it makes no noice. I can only notice it if I am in a very quick S turn and am on the gas. It sometimes chirps when you are turning, but doesnt happen very often. Tire wear, havent noticed, but I dont drive all that far. No idea about the towing. But it will be a lot less noisy then the Tru-trac. Friends of mine have a very similar setup as I do, but with Tru-tracs and aussie lockers, and they chirp around every turn and unload on them. Im glad I went with the Detroit.
Think your confusing the Tru-Trac with something else like the Detroit E-Z Locker as the Tru-Trac are a LSD and are silent and have no handling differences at all?

But thanks for your comments otherwise and from all the others as well. :)

Every once in a while my detroit will make a VERY LOUD pop. Sounds like your rear end just fell off.

Scares the hell out of anyone next to you in their car.

ever see a lifted XJ on 35's with no sway bars lay rubber sideways :D
XJ_ranger said:
what about making a u-turn from a dead stop - impossible to coast, because you arent moving....

any insite there?
</hijack>

I guess Ill add another perspective.
Ive got one in my YJ, granted, its a shorter wheelbase and a stickshift which Im sure makes a difference.
Im now in the process of gathering a lift together for my XJ and theres no way Im putting an auto locker in it. The driveability of my YJ after the Soft Locker has convinced me of that. I would possibly consider it if we didnt get snow or ice here but I dont think so. For a trail vehicle, Im a huge Detroit Soft Locker fan. For a DD, not so much.
I dont mind the popping and ratcheting. I dont mind that it occationally binds and bangs. I dont mind that I sometimes chirp tires. Its the slop and the locking and releasing when I get on or off the throttle that bothers me. Not to mention that its a hand full on really, really slick surfaces.
Its really a give and take, just like everything else and you will get different answers from everyone depending on how much they are willing to give or take.
I think most will agree that you will know its back there. How much you like or dislike it depends totally on you. Find someone with a locker and buy them lunch to let you take it for a spin.

my detroit will sometimes make a loud pop noise too. is yours like right when you get on the gas from going from coast to drive? wont do it if i pussy foot. i always thought the damn thing was make the axle wrap like a bitch and the ubolts were popping. scares me and you can also feel it when it does the pop thing am i correct?

Last edited:
skyjackedxj96 said:
my detroit will sometimes make a loud pop noise too. is yours like right when you get on the gas from going from coast to drive? wont do it if i pussy foot. i always thought the damn thing was make the axle wrap like a bitch and the ubolts were popping. scares me and you can also feel it when it does the pop thing am i correct?

Mine will pop or bang but it has more to do with appying torque coming out of a turn. the Detroit is locked together like a spool when traveling straight ahead. It will unlock when turning (which is actaully one wheel coasting). It will unlock as soon as one wheel (the outside because it overspeeds the inside wheel) has no torque applied. This is the ratcheting noise.
If you apply throttle halfway through a turn and start to scuff the inside tire (easy to do because all the weight has shifted to the outside of the turn) and its speed catches up to the outside tire, they both have torque applied and the locker will lock in mid turn. Now you SUDDENLY have a spool. Basically anytime one tire looses traction, even a little, the Detroit turns to a spool.
The bang or pop occures when the locker locks or unlocks with torque applied, so usually coming into or out of a turn while on the thottle.

My 2c. I researched this same issue when I re-geared. After talking to folks with different rigs from tj's to a full size power wagon, each had different opinions as to weather they were glad they did it or not but they all had the same answer when I asked them how it drove on snowy roads "I don't" Oh and they all pretty much agreed if they had the money they would go with a selectable. I put the tru-trac in front and rear and I'm glad I did, I'm not afraid to let the wife drive it in the winter and when on the trail it wheels 100 times better then open. I'm sure there will be spots on the trail where I'll wish I was completely locked but I'm not likely to get hurt in that case where as I might get my self or family killed doing 60 and have the jeep jump to the right because I hit the throttle to hard. Now where you snow might not be a Issue.

My experience mirror's Ray's below. Really, it comes down to if you have an auto trans or a manul. With a torque converter, you'll never notice it. With a stick, you'll get some interesting handling under locking-unlocking transitions.

Ray H said:
I guess Ill add another perspective.
Ive got one in my YJ, granted, its a shorter wheelbase and a stickshift which Im sure makes a difference.
Im now in the process of gathering a lift together for my XJ and theres no way Im putting an auto locker in it. The driveability of my YJ after the Soft Locker has convinced me of that. I would possibly consider it if we didnt get snow or ice here but I dont think so. For a trail vehicle, Im a huge Detroit Soft Locker fan. For a DD, not so much.
I dont mind the popping and ratcheting. I dont mind that it occationally binds and bangs. I dont mind that I sometimes chirp tires. Its the slop and the locking and releasing when I get on or off the throttle that bothers me. Not to mention that its a hand full on really, really slick surfaces.
Its really a give and take, just like everything else and you will get different answers from everyone depending on how much they are willing to give or take.
I think most will agree that you will know its back there. How much you like or dislike it depends totally on you. Find someone with a locker and buy them lunch to let you take it for a spin.

gabe4 said:
My 2c. I researched this same issue when I re-geared. After talking to folks with different rigs from tj's to a full size power wagon, each had different opinions as to weather they were glad they did it or not but they all had the same answer when I asked them how it drove on snowy roads "I don't" Oh and they all pretty much agreed if they had the money they would go with a selectable. I put the tru-trac in front and rear and I'm glad I did, I'm not afraid to let the wife drive it in the winter and when on the trail it wheels 100 times better then open. I'm sure there will be spots on the trail where I'll wish I was completely locked but I'm not likely to get hurt in that case where as I might get my self or family killed doing 60 and have the jeep jump to the right because I hit the throttle to hard. Now where you snow might not be a Issue.

TRUE THAT-

yea mine is a stick, definately trys to 'guide' me around corners in what not and that little jerk it does. dont like the noise. i got it around in the snow ok, But i do want to upgrade to selectable.

Last edited:
Mine will pop when I am casually driving down the road. Sometimes when I need to reverse. Hardly ever in a turn, usually in a turn I can just feel the tire slipping.

One other thing about the detroits is the torque steer. When ya give it gas, say going down the freeway, mine will want to pull left or right. Even when letting off the gas. I have noticed that with a detroit, you really have to DRIVE the vehicle.

But then my jeep might be an exception for alot with full width axles.

0313 said:
Mine will pop when I am casually driving down the road. Sometimes when I need to reverse. Hardly ever in a turn, usually in a turn I can just feel the tire slipping.

One other thing about the detroits is the torque steer. When ya give it gas, say going down the freeway, mine will want to pull left or right. Even when letting off the gas. I have noticed that with a detroit, you really have to DRIVE the vehicle.

But then my jeep might be an exception for alot with full width axles.

Mine are very similar to yours. every once in a great while it will catch hard while going strait, usually after a slow turn when I am not giving it much gas never noticed it pop in a turn always after.

My tires don't chirp much unless I get on the pedel. I may do this a little too often ;) I can feel the outside tires slip though. As far as tire wear I haven't kept a set long enough to notice.

and tourque steer is always fun around long sweeping turns is when you notice it the most.

All this said it is a 1000 times better the the EZ lockers I had, those things would pop, clank and rattel all the time.

Thankyou guys for being so honest about your opinions. Too often you only back up the choice you have made.
I really didn't know it would be this noticeable and the noise does bother me. Now I dont know what to do? I dont want open, but that also then includes a ARB, as want some benefits on wet and gravel roads. I have broken my Tru-Trac in the D35 twice now with the heads snapping off the drive side case bolts after they backed out. They have now changed them to fine thread bolts and in the case of the 8.8 version, increased the bolt count from 4 to 6. I have fixed mine this time using 12.9 grade bolts to double the clamping force after they suggested it. Never had trouble with my front Tru-Trac which has been in the same amount of time. Some models seem more effected than others and it seems to be more C clip axles with the Tru-Tracs than others as they do not put a pre-load on them like they do on those without from I can found out. This is just what I have picked up from reading as many failure reports as possible. So maybe one in a D44 would be fine?
What abut a Torsen diff instead? Found a failure in those too but does not seem as common so far.
Posi's effect your handling too much too.
So cant think of anything else as dont really need the full locking function for the work I do but dont want anything with wearing clutches either. :(
Any guidance?

Auburn ECTED?

CRASH said:
Auburn ECTED?

That is a very good choice. It has clutches though doesnt it? With an electroniclly adjustable preload?

When the ected for the 44 releases, my detroit comes out.

Back