• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locked front driving mannerism

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I searched about this and for the most part it's all about snow and I already know about the downfalls of being locked in the front with snow, but what other kinds of mannerisms can I expect if I go with like an Aussie or detroit something like that.

well need more info on axle, but my d-30 is fine because there is no power runnin the front d-shaft in 2wd, if thats what you mean. on the trail in 4wd low range, i don't have any ill effects with it as far as turning and such. i only really notice it in 4hi range. a lot of it has to do with gearing and the size tires you run also.

I currently run 31x10.50 as my DD and I'm worried about on road characteristics. In previous vehicle I had ARB selectable lockers, but sold it to buy the jeep and don't really have the money right now to go selectable. I have the HP 30 up front, currently open. What can I expect on road in 2wd. Is it just a clicking or is it only disengaged if you have lock in/out hubs (which I don't have on a 99XJ)

I am running a lockrite & hear very little clicking in 2wd. It was a little louder when new. Other than that it is not noticable in 2wd. JIM.

in 2wd it will handle and feel the same as before. you may hear some clicking on tight turns but nothign to think twice about. if you slam on the brakes in dirt and one tire locks up while the other is still spinning you will hear a much louder grinding sound (still normal). go for it you'll love having it locked on the trail. you may notice some deduction in turning radius while on the trail but that never really stops anyone from getting one. if ya got the money go selectable if you dont' go with aussie or lockright

i ran an aussie and loved it.

only in the instance your jeep has a Full-time 4wd T-case sawpped in then a front locker would be an issue, otherwise having a part-time case like a 231 then its a non issue BEACAUSE the locker will ONLY engage when Torque is applied to it via the driveshaft, and slippage occurs.

i have a 99 d30 with 231 case and Lock-right and its only been a problem when i broke a rear out-put yoke and had to drive on-road from the trail in 4wH (front wheel drive) and even then only problem was trying to steer while applying throttle, so i quickly learned to coast through the curves so i could steer the vehicle properly and only accelerate when going straight or while no adjustment in the direction of the steering was needed.

97' with NP231, Detroit locked front and rear, The only time I notice it is on long sweeping turns, it has a tendency to pull the front to one side or the other when I change from coasting to power or vise versa.

I thought it was mainly from the rear, but I have had my carrier out for two weeks and it doesn't act the same.

Thank you all for your input and I plan on going probably with an Aussie locker as I have heard they are a little stronger than lockrite. Any opinions on that?

Back