• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

have you reflared a hard brake line after it is cut?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
well while removing (or trying to at least) the pass side front caliper brake hose to install a longer hose, I ran in to the issue that the fitting is stripping out on the threads even with a flare-nut wrench. So I stopped and sprayed it down with liq wrench hoping that may help.

The drivers side was Tight and locked on pretty good but it made it fine and is done but the pass is not going to give I think. So I was thinking of trying a small pipe wrench on the nut and vise grips on the hose bracket later tonight. If that doesnt work though I have on eof the two options. Either replace the entire line back the the prop. valve. or try to repair the the stock old line by cutting it just up from the nut and sliding on a new nut and reflaring it.

I have rented and tried to reflare a hard line on my TJ a few years back and it was the most POS tool ever. Given it was a autozone rental, but it was one that they sell and new and unused though.

Anyone ever have luck with a double flare tool and getting a older stock 3/16" line redone and usable? If so, do you have the tool or where did you get it from, and what brand or such?

Thanks

gcurtis said:
I hate those damned tools.

Save yourself the time and agro and go buy a new line, seriously. I think they run about three bucks and come in a wide variety of sizes and lengths.

Very true and I would but the stock routing on that side and on the XJ looks like a PITA to replace and IF a tool exist that does as its supose to then I would rather try that first maybe.

And your right a new nice black line is only like 9$, ...

gcurtis said:
I hate those damned tools.

Save yourself the time and agro and go buy a new line, seriously. I think they run about three bucks and come in a wide variety of sizes and lengths.
You need to know how to flare :D :D I think the biggest trick is making sure that the line is cut right and after that it should be easy.

Kejtar said:
You need to know how to flare :D :D I think the biggest trick is making sure that the line is cut right and after that it should be easy.

SO does that mean you have done it and if so what/whose tool did you use? If you own the one you have used, can I bribe ya to come handle one little tube for me :)

I have a very nice double flare tool (thanks bill burge) sitting on the floor of my jeep as we speak. It's easy to do if you have the right tools. Autozone rentals always seem to be the worst damn tool ever, and are always missing a peice of two. Hit me up backchannel robert and we can fix your line pretty easy.

-Cal

Alright Cal, you cna't go talking about your nice tool and not tell us more :gag:

Brand, make, model and possible a picture or two please? I'd like to get a flare tool that actually WORKS since I've got some lines to make...

Also - have you tried using it with big thicker wall tubing such as transmission cooler lines?

GSequoia said:
Alright Cal, you cna't go talking about your nice tool and not tell us more :gag:

Brand, make, model and possible a picture or two please? I'd like to get a flare tool that actually WORKS since I've got some lines to make...

Also - have you tried using it with big thicker wall tubing such as transmission cooler lines?

It's a KD or KC brand (i forget), belongs to bill burge. He lent it to me last week to fix cupcakes jeep and fabricate the lines for my WJ booster/master. I used one just like it a couple years ago and it worked really well. Have not tried it with thicker tube, but i'll grab some at the hardware store and see how it works?

You can find good quality ones on any Snap-on, matco, etc tool truck. You'll pay for it, but you'll never have to buy another one.

Don't be shy with the tool trucks...see it at a mechanic's shop, walk right in and start lookin.' They will be happy to sell you quality tools.

Dan

thats tough sometimes.. I almost just welded the daym thing last time I tried to use that POS.. :anon:
BrettM said:
I've used the Autozone free rental one and it works great. Just gotta be smarter than the tool.

Dan Turner said:
You can find good quality ones on any Snap-on, matco, etc tool truck. You'll pay for it, but you'll never have to buy another one.

Dan

Have to agree with Dan on this one. I have had my snap-on flairing tool for over 15 years and it has never failed me. Works perfect every time.

Tim D

Those lines are a lot tougher than the soft copper most flaring tools are made to handle, so like everybody said, get a GOOD tool. The cheap ones rarely work on stainless tubing.

The one that I have was purchased to repair an xj brake line, and has only been used for that purpose.. it should work. I'm heading over to Robertk's saturday morning to fix his with him.

I haven't had a problem doing it but keep in mind I think the tubing on the XJ is metric. The standard flare set will work but you will have to be careful doing it.

Mike R

I dont know about metric. I used a 3/16th line in the rear system so I think its SAE?

MJR said:
I haven't had a problem doing it but keep in mind I think the tubing on the XJ is metric. The standard flare set will work but you will have to be careful doing it.

Mike R

MJR said:

Mike R
Doesn't that depend on the year? IIRC older models were metric and newer ones were SAE (changed around the time when they changed the caliper/pad setup from that weird spring loaded snap in thing). In anycase I am pretty sure that mine is SAE.

I got my double flaring kit from McMasters. It was about $46 and flares from 3/16" to 1/2" OD tubing. I actually used it on my fuel line which, I think, is stainless. It was pretty damn hard to double flare that line, but I'm sure it would work like a dream on softer stuff. It's made by Imperial in USA.

Kyung

cal said:
I have a very nice double flare tool (thanks bill burge) sitting on the floor of my jeep as we speak. It's easy to do if you have the right tools. Autozone rentals always seem to be the worst damn tool ever, and are always missing a peice of two. Hit me up backchannel robert and we can fix your line pretty easy.

-Cal

Yeah, I ended up with what is probably a decent double flare tool set. I was putting line extensions on mine and foobared two of the three (they hadn't beeen touched since assembly in 1993!). PepBoys didn't have a tool and the only other place in the area was NAPA. The only one THEY had was an expensive one.

I said "F%$K IT!" and bought it. I don't know the brand, but it was a "behind the counter" tool. Cal can fill you in on the particulars.

I used it that one time and haven't since. I will probably need it when I do the brake upgrade, but maybe not.

bburge

Back